Get Premium to hide all ads

Original post

Posted by clovis1122, 22.01.2015 - 19:03
Advanced concepts about Walls: Investigation.

This post is a continuation of the original "Basic forms of walling". If you haven't read it, you should.
This is the link: Basic forms of walling >>>>>>>> http://atwar-game.com/forum/topic.php?topic_id=15896

Notes and updates:

August, 2015.
On Saturday 1, august, I've finally discovered the mechanics involved in the lines of the walls. With this, a method to make a full closed wall was finally found. So in Sunday I've tried to reorganize the thread to make it readable... moved all the tests to some posts in the thread, and just left a resume of the information found in the original post.

January, 2015.
After two months, I've finally release the guide on Thursday 22, January. Thanks to khal.eesi, even though you've got sick the whole new year, got a stupid PC and retire from the help at one quarter of the post, you've still made this whole thread possible. Also Thanks to Mr_Own_U, who cooperated for some tests of this guide. Thanks for the support!

Current discovered mechanics:

Wall technical date

Wall Range: minimal 1 range, maximal 2 range.
Wall Fuck ratio: 1 range.

Zoom bug in walls: Knowledge

If you zoom out, you can attack a wall that is behind another wall under certain conditions.

1) Doesn't matter the size/length of the wall.
2) The wall you're trying to attack must be at less than 1 range difference from the wall you're trying to bypass.
3) The angle and position of the walls may interfere on the zoom bug, making it easier or harder to do.

How to break inner wall + outer wall layout

Player A attack one side of the double wall.
Player B removes his double wall by mixing units that are from that wall.
Result: The Inner wall will break without battle.

Classic tricks of walling
Kill all the units that are wall fucking, then make a wall at the same turn.
Auto wall - Make one wall then attack the wf'ed unit in next turn.
Big wall - Larger outer wall that allow you the same safety of double wall without bugs.
Re wall - Remove your wall and place another in the same turn.
Serbian wall - Kill all the units of your enemy's wall AND wall at the same turn, same place.

Sea Wall

You can't break land unit's wall with naval units if their wall range is less than ~10%
If you superimpose your sea trans, they will form part of the wall.

Transport and their walls, helicopter wall.

It is possible to bug the transport in order to make them wall, even helicopters.

Zero unit wall

If you zero bug on a wall, it will appear to be zero bugged, but it is really a display bug. Reset the page to make the units display correctly.

Wall line: Appear and Disappear

Appear (Triangle wall):

Disappear (Broken wall):

Feel free to post test here, they will be include in the post. If you have any though about how mechanic works, feel free to post it too, any idea help!
04.06.2015 - 20:36

!?!?!?! This is what happened:

I move out my infantries to Frankfurt, from Krakow in poland I send one ATS with 5 units. One for lyon, one for paris, one for benelux, one for Milan and rest two along with ATS I send them to Frankfurt...

... yet, his paris wall fight against my whole stack of troops, and at the end I didn't got to take Frankfurt.
01.08.2015 - 10:35
Wall lines mechanics: Disappear and Appear of lines.

So when two units are closer, a line form around the two walls. But there is still the question, related to the mechanics involving the appear or disappear of this line.

Disappear (broken wall):

For this test we are going to use two stacks: one with two units and one with one unit. Here's the process:

<Turn End>
<Turn Start>

Here's a GIF version of what was done:

Appear(triangle wall):

For this test we are going to use one stack of 3 units. Unlike the broken wall, this can be done by using different methods, and even by using 2 units. Even in those conditions, you must still do certain preset moves to form the wall.

<Turn End>
<Turn Start>

Here's a GIF version of what was done:

:
01.08.2015 - 17:41
Sup guys, I'll add this soon to the original thread, but put it here just so players can see it. So after this discoverement I was trying to make a closed doublewall, and here are the results:

4 outer + 3 inner, this wall can be zoom bugged.

5 outer - Even though the space looks like it cannot be zoom bugged, at this time none of the walls I've made are inmune to zoom bugs with 5 outer units.

6 outer + 3 inner, this wall cannot be zoom bugged.

According to my research, you would need minimal 7 outer units so the 3 mans inner wall cannot be zoom bugged. This makes up a total of 10 units, with full triangle wall, you can make it with one unit less.

Looking forward to see more about this.
26.08.2015 - 10:35

I attacked all his walls, one by one, with around 3-4 artillery and 2 conscripts. Somehow all the troops grouped for a big battle...
26.08.2015 - 12:19
China-
Account deleted
Written by clovis1122, 26.08.2015 at 10:35

I attacked all his walls, one by one, with around 3-4 artillery and 2 conscripts. Somehow all the troops grouped for a big battle...

perhaps post this in bugs forum?
26.08.2015 - 12:33
Written by Guest, 26.08.2015 at 12:19

perhaps post this in bugs forum?

I actually need it here, so I can research more about it.

Just posting so if other players had the issue and knows how to do it, then they can contribute.
23.12.2015 - 23:03
THE FUTURE IS NOW....

The above wall works: It can't be passed from above or below. Whenever I try to attack the wall, the battle seems to be almost perfectly like if it was in Paris.

Two units walls are a new concept but wort of researching.
23.12.2015 - 23:27
Oh well... looks like the future isn't here yet.

Middle wall: Two units covering the center of a city.

When two units are put closer to an opponent's city in the middle, in a way that the line of the wall pass through the (more or less) center of the city, then you've formed a middle wall. Your opponent can't move troops outside of such city from either north or south, but he can still stack the city. An example of middle wall goes as follows:

In this screenshot, blue had formed a middle wall on Paris.

Disadvantages of middle walls (discovered until the date):

1. Your opponent can't move units outside of the city if middle walled, however, he can move units into the city from both sides of the wall.
2. Middle walling your own cities doesn't works and will leave you vulnerable from both sides of the wall.
08.03.2016 - 06:45
All theses research are valid in HTML, by the way.
24.03.2016 - 15:44

If you move your troops fast enough...
24.03.2016 - 16:04
27.03.2016 - 15:32
Written by clovis1122, 23.12.2015 at 23:27

[...]
2. Middle walling your own cities doesn't works and will leave you vulnerable from both sides of the wall.

If I middle wall a neutral country (say: France) that he captures the same turn, will he be able to move troops outside, or will he first have to break the wall?
Speaking of which, I'm assuming you can't break the wall with the units in a city that has been middle walled. Am I right or...?
----

27.03.2016 - 18:57
I think the longer wall update may have broken the perfect triangle wall.
Can anybody confirm?
----
27.03.2016 - 19:42
Written by clovis1122, 27.03.2016 at 19:15

Written by ROYAL, 27.03.2016 at 18:57

I think the longer wall update may have broken the perfect triangle wall.
Can anybody confirm?

hmmm works the same for me.

oh alright, I couldnt get it to work anymore. Guess was just me.
----
20.04.2016 - 14:56
Walls r stupid should be replaced by forts,trenches etc unreal
----
It's scary how many possible genocidal war lords play this game, and i could be one of them
22.04.2016 - 07:19
Written by MURAD IV, 20.04.2016 at 14:56

Walls r stupid should be replaced by forts,trenches etc unreal

Nobody uses forts anymore, yet we are still talking about using walls in real life. SO since it is realistic, shut up, you don't know what your talking about.

Build that wall!
Trump for President 2016
27.04.2016 - 07:56
Hello...I am sorry if this answer is posted elsewhere...I haven't been able to find it. I am trying to break through my opponent's defense line with subs, but it will not work. It will not let me attack the defense line. I tried using subs with and without marines, and it still won't work. Any help?
27.04.2016 - 08:15
Written by The Real L, 27.04.2016 at 07:56

Hello...I am sorry if this answer is posted elsewhere...I haven't been able to find it. I am trying to break through my opponent's defense line with subs, but it will not work. It will not let me attack the defense line. I tried using subs with and without marines, and it still won't work. Any help?

Is the defence line on water? Naval units can't break walls made on water by land units. Use a bomber, or a spare AT you aren't using and want to get rid of to reduce upkeep cost.
----

27.04.2016 - 08:32
Written by Darth., 27.04.2016 at 08:15

Is the defence line on water? Naval units can't break walls made on water by land units.

Actually they can, if the wall is bigger enough.

Written by clovis1122, 22.01.2015 at 19:03

Sea Wall

You can't break land unit's wall with naval units if their wall range is less than ~10%

This applies for land walls in either sea or land.
27.04.2016 - 08:44
Written by clovis1122, 27.04.2016 at 08:32

Written by Darth., 27.04.2016 at 08:15

Is the defence line on water? Naval units can't break walls made on water by land units.

Actually they can, if the wall is bigger enough.

Written by clovis1122, 22.01.2015 at 19:03

Sea Wall

This applies for land walls in either sea or land.

I'm aware of that I was keeping it simple since he's rank 3 and just actually getting serious.

As an aside I almost always use bombers to break sea walls anyways. Destroyers and naval transports are 250 cash (220 with with cheap trans up), subs are 200. A bomber is cheaper with 180 cost, with a larger range.
----

27.04.2016 - 08:58
Written by Darth., 27.04.2016 at 08:44

As an aside I almost always use bombers to break sea walls anyways.

You can't do it in Ancient though.

Gotta break demm walls in custom maps somehow!
27.04.2016 - 09:14
njab
Account deleted
Written by clovis1122, 27.04.2016 at 08:58

You can't do it in Ancient though.

Gotta break demm walls in custom maps somehow!

They can add custom air units such as some dragons, birds and stuffs.
29.04.2016 - 04:51
Thank you! I kept trying to kill with my sub and wouldn't work. I will try with an AT or bomber. I appreciate the help!
16.05.2016 - 12:28
Written by clovis1122, 11.04.2015 at 14:30

Here's my research with Walls involving Turn Block mechanics.

For conclude, more tests are coming about this subject. But be warned when you are moving a wall: Some bugs like the explained above will happen if you aren't carefully enough.

Small resume of the new knowledge:

Basic concepts
- First unit of a Wall is the first unit placed.
- TurnBlocks in one wall are define by the First Unit's priority.

Test Results:

- If you don't move the First unit of a Wall and the enemy attacks it, the second unit will get TurnBlocked.
- If you move the First Unit of a wall TB's chances are 0% for that unit, and 100% for the second unit. Must be to another city or to another unit.
- If you move the First Unit to somewhere in the map in range of the enemy's unit the same TurnBlock values will happens. Second unit will have 100% TB chances.
- If you move the First Unit to somewhere in the map, but also add a stack to it, and if also the First Unit get TurnBlocked, the whole stack will Teleport to the First Unit position.

Huh... looks like I confused the first and second units of the wall. Will re-write later.
18.05.2016 - 07:08
What is the best way to prevent broken walls?
18.05.2016 - 08:57
Written by The_Empirezz, 18.05.2016 at 07:08

Put them on unexpected places, far away from cities or places prone to be full of units
----
Don't ever look down on someone unless you're helping him up. Don't ever treat someone else the way you wouldn't want others to treat you.
We're all people.

18.05.2016 - 09:13
Written by RaulPB, 18.05.2016 at 08:57

Written by The_Empirezz, 18.05.2016 at 07:08

Put them on unexpected places, far away from cities or places prone to be full of units

Does this apply to walls made on turn 0/1 too?
18.05.2016 - 09:19
Written by The_Empirezz, 18.05.2016 at 09:13

Hm... you mean that glitch when walls do not form spontaneously? In my experience, you should try to avoid doing walls too long, on the limit.
----
Don't ever look down on someone unless you're helping him up. Don't ever treat someone else the way you wouldn't want others to treat you.
We're all people.

18.05.2016 - 09:23
Written by RaulPB, 18.05.2016 at 09:19

Written by The_Empirezz, 18.05.2016 at 09:13

Hm... you mean that glitch when walls do not form spontaneously? In my experience, you should try to avoid doing walls too long, on the limit.

What do you consider too long walls?
18.05.2016 - 10:52
Written by The_Empirezz, 18.05.2016 at 09:23

What do you consider too long walls?

Those which are in the limit of actually making the wall or not XD
----
We're all people.

atWar

About Us
Contact

Privacy | Terms of service | Banners | Partners

Copyright © 2024 atWar. All rights reserved.

Join us on

Spread the word