Get Premium to hide all ads

Poll

What do you think of the HTML5 Alpha so far?

Better than original!
It's ready for the release
Needs some work, but is playable
Still needs a lot of work to be playable
I feel dead inside just by looking at it
Haven't tried it yet (- shame on you!)

Total votes: 264
28.08.2015 - 02:35
 Amok (Admin)
Tell us what you think and leave some comments too!
28.08.2015 - 02:42
Definitely playable but would still need some work to match Silverlight version.
28.08.2015 - 02:48
 opi
Need hard wörk
28.08.2015 - 02:51
I do like the clear numbers.
28.08.2015 - 02:51
(deleted)
Account deleted
Written by opi, 28.08.2015 at 02:48

Need hard wörk

agree with opi....
28.08.2015 - 03:04
I played over 5 hours html version and tried to find bugs (wanted this medal) but i didnt find something
But it could be a little bit faster (smoother)
----
"War is nothing but a continuation of politics with the admixture of other means."
― Carl von Clausewitz
28.08.2015 - 03:23
Certainly faster and smoother( shame on Firefox) than the Silverlight version.
----
28.08.2015 - 03:53
OFC sl version is better but html5 with some changes can be better
----
28.08.2015 - 04:36
 Eagle (Mod)
Just a few more adjustments and it will be as good as the original
----
28.08.2015 - 07:41
Written by Meester, 28.08.2015 at 02:42

Definitely playable but would still need some work to match Silverlight version.

I agree with Meester....Playable,But not brilliant yet...
28.08.2015 - 07:50
I would love it more if...

1. The default map get the same resolution (or higher) as the SL default map, and when you use zoom in the browser, it is not downgraded(just like jpg and png...).

2. The map and control loads too fast, an animation would'be cool (I don't have them disabled). For example, when you 'select' a country, I find it loads too fast.

3. Even though this is a bug that was partially fixed, allowing us to move through small patch of land with sea transports just like in SL, so we can use the famous britanny shortcut: .

There are many shortcuts, maneuver tricks, that I'll be missing in the HTML version. We can no longer superimpose units over others (and don't want this back, either... ), using the established shortcuts had become harder than in SL, and the bomber trick is a lot less effective (putting a bomber a little far, and try to mix it with a trans - you get a little more range with this).

4. There are many bugs that i'd like fixed before playing again. Most of them were already reported, others I'm still not sure if bugs or intentional (when you reload while in-game, for example, you get the 'Already in game' screen and go to lobby. In SL, you go direct to the game).

And at last, there are some changes, suggested by other users, that I don't personally like (nor think they have majority approval, anyway). But this is probably because I haven't adapted to HTML. When the game is released, I will try and get to adapt to the new features and changes. After a while however, when the game is released, you gonna find many bug reports and people "wanting this back" since they didn't got to adapt to the new features and changes, this is what I think we should prevent.

I think a topic with the title "What will you miss in the HTML version of the game?" or "What do you want to see in the HTML version of the game?" would help to get some information of the nostalgia. Then, after that, a poll with the ex-features or ex-bugs that people are going to miss (I bet #3 in this post will win). Then, if they aren't dangerous or hard-enough, you can implement it back...
28.08.2015 - 08:24
 Amok (Admin)
Written by clovis1122, 28.08.2015 at 07:50

1. The default map get the same resolution (or higher) as the SL default map, and when you use zoom in the browser, it is not downgraded(just like jpg and png...).

2. The map and control loads too fast, an animation would'be cool (I don't have them disabled). For example, when you 'select' a country, I find it loads too fast.

3. Even though this is a bug that was partially fixed, allowing us to move through small patch of land with sea transports just like in SL, so we can use the famous britanny shortcut: .

There are many shortcuts, maneuver tricks, that I'll be missing in the HTML version. We can no longer superimpose units over others (and don't want this back, either... ), using the established shortcuts had become harder than in SL, and the bomber trick is a lot less effective (putting a bomber a little far, and try to mix it with a trans - you get a little more range with this).

4. There are many bugs that i'd like fixed before playing again. Most of them were already reported, others I'm still not sure if bugs or intentional (when you reload while in-game, for example, you get the 'Already in game' screen and go to lobby. In SL, you go direct to the game).

1. The HTML5 map is exactly the same resolution as SL, see for yourself!

2. Not sure what you mean. Surely the fact that it loads quickly is a good thing?

3. None of it was ever intended to be used in that way, so I'm actually glad it's more difficult now.

4. The 'Already in game' bug should only appear on non-Chrome browser (I think so at least). Will fix it for others.
28.08.2015 - 08:45
(deleted)
Account deleted
Written by Amok, 28.08.2015 at 08:24

2. Not sure what you mean. Surely the fact that it loads quickly is a good thing?

3. None of it was ever intended to be used in that way, so I'm actually glad it's more difficult now.

4. The 'Already in game' bug should only appear on non-Chrome browser (I think so at least). Will fix it for others.

3. actually,that secret paths made game more interesting,it wont be as it was if you fix it.....---

P.S I know that you was doing on html version for long time,but best would be if you leave sl version active.....
28.08.2015 - 09:03
 Amok (Admin)
Written by Charlie Puth, 28.08.2015 at 08:45

P.S I know that you was doing on html version for long time,but best would be if you leave sl version active.....

Once we're fully satisfied with the HTML5, the SL version and server will be decommissioned. No point in keeping both servers active.
28.08.2015 - 09:07
(deleted)
Account deleted
Written by Amok, 28.08.2015 at 09:03

Written by Charlie Puth, 28.08.2015 at 08:45

Once we're fully satisfied with the HTML5, the SL version and server will be decommissioned. No point in keeping both servers active.

im telling about that,html 5 version isnt as sl is,its a lot laggy and slow,also that bugfixes made game less interesting xD
28.08.2015 - 09:14
My opinion.. I'm not impressed with html5. Once SL is finished I will most likely stop playing AW, unless something comes to change my mind.
28.08.2015 - 09:14
(deleted)
Account deleted
Written by W4R_MaChINE, 28.08.2015 at 09:14

My opinion.. I'm not impressed with html5. Once SL is finished I will most likely stop playing AW, unless something comes to change my mind.

im telling that too
28.08.2015 - 09:24
 Amok (Admin)
Don't forget, HTML5 version's still in Alpha (although soon-to-be beta), so it will inevitably have some problems.
28.08.2015 - 09:28

oh my bad, the problem is in the cities then.

SL:

Zoom at 200% with Google Chrome on SL:

HTML:

Zoom at 200% with Google Chrome on HTML:

The cities looks nicer in SL than in HTML, and when you zoom in they lose quality. (This is one of the type of bugs that... not sure if intentional or bug).

It is quick, and that should'be a good thing, too. But for some reason I don't feel it is natural. I'd be rather scared/ surprised if, let's say:

a) I extend my hand to get a drink, then return it to the same position.
b) The drink magically appear in my hand.

But as I said, maybe I'm just not accustomed to this part of HTML (hopefully this is). Let's see what the other person thinks about this...

You're right, a bug fixed is something to be glad about.... but we have many years (since Afterwind!) using this type of trick. We will slowly adapt to this, but there can be many players that are unable to adapt (or simply won't even try) and will want this type of bugs back. As Lanes already said, this made the game quite interesting (allowed a lot of expansions available, the ones we still use today).

I don't really know what type of effect this will have, to change the mechanics in this way. Speaking about the Eu metagame, a lot of expansions that used this trick will become harder (if not impossible) to be done. Will players adapt or quit? I guess we will need to wait till HTML to see the answer...

Thanks for this. I guess the poll's opinion will change after many of the bugs are fixed.
28.08.2015 - 09:40
 Amok (Admin)
Written by clovis1122, 28.08.2015 at 09:28

> The cities looks nicer in SL than in HTML, and when you zoom in they lose quality. (This is one of the type of bugs that... not sure if intentional or bug).

On 100% they're almost indistinguishable, though. The reason the quality is degraded in HTML5 when zoomed in is because it's using cached images instead of vector graphics, like in SL. This is purely for the purpose of optimizing the performance.

> I don't really know what type of effect this will have, to change the mechanics in this way. Speaking about the Eu metagame, a lot of expansions that used this trick will become harder [i](if not impossible) to be done. Will players adapt or quit? I guess we will need to wait till HTML to see the answer...[/i]

Players will adapt and come up with new tricks, trust me. As for those who won't, well, let me just say we will not be reintroducing old bugs/exploits back just for the sake of it, that's just mental.
28.08.2015 - 10:37
What is next in the AW roadmap after HTML 5? Do you guys plan on adding more features or going back and working on some quality of life improvements?
----
Written by Mahdi, 23.11.2013 at 20:30

I don't consider the phrase "massive fag" to be an insult. Mods did.
28.08.2015 - 10:51
 Amok (Admin)
Written by notserral, 28.08.2015 at 10:37

What is next in the AW roadmap after HTML 5? Do you guys plan on adding more features or going back and working on some quality of life improvements?

There's so much on our plate at the moment to do with the HTML5 release (haven't even started working on the map/scenario editors yet, for example), that we honestly are quite some time away from planning on the features.
28.08.2015 - 11:48

huh? that works just fine for me on html5, i would be sorry to see landbridge crossings go, they add more interesting possibilities in expansions. Thank god theyre fine.

My main gripes with html5 at current are the graphics and the pull radius of cities when you place units close to them.(makes it hard to make tight maneuvers)
----
28.08.2015 - 12:19
Written by Permamuted, 28.08.2015 at 11:48

huh? that works just fine for me on html5, i would be sorry to see landbridge crossings go, they add more interesting possibilities in expansions. Thank god theyre fine.

My main gripes with html5 at current are the graphics and the pull radius of cities when you place units close to them.(makes it hard to make tight maneuvers)

I didn't say they were impossible to be done, I can still do nantes and hamburg cross . Some players say it was harder, while some of them can't do it.

Try , for example, to enter in sweden's lakes..
28.08.2015 - 15:38
very playable, and it's very hard to find any bugs/lack of a feature anymore. Aside from the somewhat weird coloring or saturation or something idk it seems pretty good.
----
We are not the same - I am a Martian.
We are not the same - I am a... divided constellation?

28.08.2015 - 16:10
Written by clovis1122, 28.08.2015 at 12:19

Written by Permamuted, 28.08.2015 at 11:48

I didn't say they were impossible to be done, I can still do nantes and hamburg cross . Some players say it was harder, while some of them can't do it.

Try , for example, to enter in sweden's lakes..

Sweden's lakes and Hamburg are different because of the pull radius issue I mentioned
----
28.08.2015 - 18:40
Tigro
Account deleted
The new mechanics to send naval units near land is very clunky . That's all I got to say. Doing some paths like the britanny one are harder now.
28.08.2015 - 20:53
About my preferences, i would love more type of units and maps for people who play everyday or with a hight frecuency. One important thing its the question of the time when u attack, dont likes when someone is fast like a thunder with his mouse and that gives him a great advantage, to me dont be so important the time in this case, i means, its more important estrategy or tactic thing that a fast hand with a mouse.
28.08.2015 - 21:10
Written by Cronwell, 28.08.2015 at 20:53

About my preferences, i would love more type of units and maps for people who play everyday or with a hight frecuency.

Same. But if admins focus on that instead of HTML then SL will die off Chrome, and that's a pretty bad thing !

Written by Cronwell, 28.08.2015 at 20:53

One important thing its the question of the time when u attack, dont likes when someone is fast like a thunder with his mouse and that gives him a great advantage, to me dont be so important the time in this case, i means, its more important estrategy or tactic thing that a fast hand with a mouse.

Well, you can play casual games....

If you're talking about TurnBlock (moves doesn't go), then it doesn't matter who moves first, but the moves priority.
28.08.2015 - 21:34
Written by Permamuted, 28.08.2015 at 16:10

Sweden's lakes and Hamburg are different because of the pull radius issue I mentioned

I don't think so.

I can't enter to Sweden's lake (can't even see the white line to...). The pull radio you've said would only happen if I could actually see the white line.

Here's another example, the transports are almost in the sameposition in both SL and HTML. However in SL I can enter to the lake, in HTML I can't even find the white line to enter.

There are many patch in which you can't see the white line:

All of them looks in a reasonable range for me, yet when I try to move them further, the game won't show the white line. All red. Not saying they're impossible though, I somehow got the Canadian one. But you need to anchor further (which is what makes them hard to be done).

P.S: I've actually tried to cross to Glasgow from a good distance to avoid radius bug...

R.I.P. Looks like land maneuvers are harder to do, too.
atWar

About Us
Contact

Privacy | Terms of service | Banners | Partners

Copyright © 2024 atWar. All rights reserved.

Join us on

Spread the word