Get Premium to hide all ads
26.01.2014 - 09:40
Hello there,

just published my new artwork. It is called Foundation's Edge (Preview map here) and it is a homage to the great Sci-Fi master Isaac Asimov.

Map size: 2800px X 2225px

Complete map (re-sized)

Countries: 52

Map detail [01]

Map detail [02]

Map detail [03]

Country balance (reinforcement, income, cities)

Cities: 155

City balance (port & non-port // normal & extra // capitals: port & non-port // comparison to EU++)

Units: AW standard units

Standard units with new images

Details

Custom flags (52) & city images (155)

Map with flag detail (changing colors according to occupation)

I hope you enjoy this balanced map. Feedback is very welcome.
Cheers,
Columna Durruti
----
26.01.2014 - 13:00
I would like to play a UN on that.
26.01.2014 - 15:44
AlexMeza
Account deleted
I thought it said "Foundation's DOGE" Hehe

Written by Krieger3, 26.01.2014 at 13:00

Hello, possible Tunder's alt.
26.01.2014 - 18:18
Written by Guest, 26.01.2014 at 15:44

I thought it said "Foundation's DOGE" Hehe

Possibly... whatever (whoever)... and NO UN scenarios on my maps! It's a matter of principles.
----
26.01.2014 - 19:37

UN is Cancer.

really... you are gonna compare me with this guy? que pocas margaritas alex.
26.01.2014 - 19:43
AlexMeza
Account deleted
Collumna, make sure no one makes an UN for your map or use your mod powers to ban them hue.

Written by Tunder4, 26.01.2014 at 19:37

UN is Cancer.

really... you are gonna compare me with this guy? que pocas margaritas alex.

Jaja, no sé pero se parecían xD
26.01.2014 - 22:10
 Utah
I only knew of Isaac faintly through his history books I read. Didn't know he was so famous, I thought he was just a small-scale author.
----
The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood.
27.01.2014 - 00:28
I'll say it again CD, it looks amazing! And seems like you took care to make it balanced. I wouldn't be surprised if this one wins the contest

Written by Utah, 26.01.2014 at 22:10
I only knew of Isaac faintly through his history books I read. Didn't know he was so famous, I thought he was just a small-scale author.
He was a historian too? Interesting... I knew him as a biologist-turned-author.
27.01.2014 - 03:21
 VRIL
There are many countries with 4 or more cities. Generally this slows down gameplay a lot. Think of europe: It is very hard to take countries like Italy or Russia central from another player, they guard them well. This makes games more likely to be ended either by big aggressive move or turkey vs ukraine like unit stacking 20 turns.
I also think the density of the cities on the map is too low. Even in the medium density areas on your map sometimes you cant reach the capital nor even a city of another country. This forces players to move their troops without attacking anything or park them in empty spaces and long range strats become more powerful.

Vahria/Bourk/Yasteriber/Seouya feels alright for my taste, the rest feels like russian emptiness a bit too much.

Your general map production seems top tier, its very pleasant to look at!
27.01.2014 - 03:35
Written by VRIL, 27.01.2014 at 03:21

There are many countries with 4 or more cities. Generally this slows down gameplay a lot. Think of europe: It is very hard to take countries like Italy or Russia central from another player, they guard them well. This makes games more likely to be ended either by big aggressive move or turkey vs ukraine like unit stacking 20 turns.
I also think the density of the cities on the map is too low. Even in the medium density areas on your map sometimes you cant reach the capital nor even a city of another country. This forces players to move their troops without attacking anything or park them in empty spaces and long range strats become more powerful.

Vahria/Bourk/Yasteriber/Seouya feels alright for my taste, the rest feels like russian emptiness a bit too much.

Your general map production seems top tier, its very pleasant to look at!

Thanks for the review. Very pertinent observations; will consider changes before the Competitive Map competition deadline.
----
27.01.2014 - 11:10
Hue, I need to try this out sometime although I dont play custom maps a lot anymore. Great job Collumna!
----
"My words are my bullets."-John Lydon

Spart is love
28.01.2014 - 14:36
Changes have been implemented... 65 countries, 167 cities...

New city balance

New country balance

Cities per country ratio

I hope it gets more balanced and dynamic.
Enjoy!
----
04.02.2014 - 02:51
Great work definitely has my vote. Though I might enter a map myself if I can find the time to.
04.02.2014 - 07:01
Thanks Meester; really appreciate your opinion.

Here is a SS of the updated version of FE (65 countries)

----
23.02.2014 - 17:22
AlexMeza
Account deleted
How did you make the borders like that? I mean, neighbor countries don't "overlap" each other. Is it a copy paste technique? Plez teach
Also, change the link from https to http, or simply remove it. I don't know if it works in your browser, but it doesn't in mine and a few others.
23.02.2014 - 20:32
Written by Guest, 23.02.2014 at 17:22

How did you make the borders like that? I mean, neighbor countries don't "overlap" each other. Is it a copy paste technique? Plez teach
Also, change the link from https to http, or simply remove it. I don't know if it works in your browser, but it doesn't in mine and a few others.

Thnx. Corrected link.
As to the borders:
  • Use max zoom to draw borders
  • Use white with transparency to draw borders (99 FF FF FF)
  • Use CTRL key to draw borders (so they wont stick)
  • Draw borders along the previous border, moving cursor till red dot appears and then click to make the point
  • Last step: look for "dancing borders"; which means that you go from one country to the neighbor country with cursor and you see the "dancing borders" if they do not match 100%. Here it is important to have the white transparency border to see the effect. By clicking the CTRL key you can move border points so they fit 100%.

Important: Haste is waste. Making good borders require time... and it is worth the effort. Good maps do definitely require good borders. They must match 100% to guarantee good moving... I hate the red moving lines when crossing a border. They shall not exist!
----
19.03.2014 - 12:03
 Amok (Admin)
Came here to say I loved the way you used those flags. Really cool idea! Brilliant map, as always.
25.04.2014 - 20:38
Nice map
----
29.04.2014 - 09:31
Heya columna, nice map. i've one issue with it though

when starting the game, in the south its extremely difficult to make out the countries starting buy amount and income as the backround is so bright, particularly the southeastern body of land. ive to angle my screen and squint and even then i wouldnt like to be looking at that area too long without sunglasses lol
----
01.05.2014 - 22:34
Written by Permamuted, 29.04.2014 at 09:31

Heya columna, nice map. i've one issue with it though

when starting the game, in the south its extremely difficult to make out the countries starting buy amount and income as the backround is so bright, particularly the southeastern body of land. ive to angle my screen and squint and even then i wouldnt like to be looking at that area too long without sunglasses lol

Thnx for the comment will correct the color.
----
04.06.2014 - 02:01
Ik this is an old topic, however I had to bring up that it might become a movie...
----

17.06.2014 - 23:51
I've played 3 games on this map, and it's pretty cool. The balance is great. The detail and care in creation, development and revisions is impressive. I'm surprised that the map has such a low rating.

In related news, I'm particularly a huge fan of the Eben maps. They also don't have very good ratings, and I can't figure out why. I haven't played III yet, but I've played II and recently started a game in I. Great, well-balanced maps. I'm a fan of naval-intense maps, and Eben I is tailor-made for NC, it seems.

Keep up the good work!
----
Embrace the void
26.06.2014 - 21:01
Written by RatWar, 17.06.2014 at 23:51

I've played 3 games on this map, and it's pretty cool. The balance is great. The detail and care in creation, development and revisions is impressive. I'm surprised that the map has such a low rating.

In related news, I'm particularly a huge fan of the Eben maps. They also don't have very good ratings, and I can't figure out why. I haven't played III yet, but I've played II and recently started a game in I. Great, well-balanced maps. I'm a fan of naval-intense maps, and Eben I is tailor-made for NC, it seems.

Keep up the good work!

Thnx! I appreciate it.
----
atWar

About Us
Contact

Privacy | Terms of service | Banners | Partners

Copyright © 2024 atWar. All rights reserved.

Join us on

Spread the word