Get Premium to hide all ads
19.07.2011 - 18:06
Hi.I think we could use a thread where we could all add Tips&Tricks for people who need help with that.We could all post anything that comes to our mind,as long as it is helpful.We'd gather a bunch of those and make like a guide of some sorts,but please look at the posts before and try not to post the same thing twice.Also add the number of the Tip/Trick,so it looks like this:

1.The important thing in the beginning of the game is to expand fast,especially when kind of isolated from the rest.Try to divide your troops in as many areas as possible,but make sure you have enough to conquer the neutral cities.
2.Alliances are very important,as any player has a very hard time alone against 2 experienced players,not to mention 3(or more!).Also,it is not a good idea to ally everyone,because you don't attack anyone,and watch out,because your 'allies' can backstab you!
3.To make your troops more efficient and get to victory easier,you can use strategies,most of which you buy from the 'Upgrades' menu.Make sure you look at the description,so that you know which sort of troops are advantaged and which are disadvantaged!Which strategy you get depends on the style of your gameplay,e.g. if you like using air units,go for Sky Menace,if you want to build huge stacks of infantry and use them to obliterate your enemy,go for Perfect Defence.Also it is important what kind of game it is (for 5k cash Perfect Defence and Guerilla Warfare are doing great)
4.If you want to play sneaky,try the stealth units!The game provides 3 stealth units(and the sentry plane,which is not used in combat preferably).
Stealth Planes:Acts like a stealthy bomber,but more expensive,more powerful in attack and weaker in defence(which makes sense,as it doesn't need much defence if it cannot be attacked otherwise than detecting it or attacking any other units in its stack!)
Marines:It's a land unit,also powerful in attack and quite weak in defence,a little more expensive than the tank.
Submarines:A naval unit which can transport 2 land units(if you put marines on it,you can go to the enemy's capital in total stealth!)
5.Defence lines are very important,as the enemies cannot pass through them.They should be used to defend your capital and your important cities(and if you can capture it,the enemy's capital!).The least unit-needing is the 3-man defence line(if you don't know how to do it,ask somebody,like me for example).

You can go ahead and continue,the people with the most Tips&Tricks get a rep from me.Have fun playing and hope it helped some of you.I would like to have posts from 'AW Veterans',which surely know more than me.
20.07.2011 - 08:39
 YOBA
6. Make sure you get the upgrade that lets you recruit militia as soon as possible. Mind you, purchasing the Guerilla Warfare upgrade will also give you access to militia in games in which you use that strategy without having to have purchased the militia upgrade.

Addendum to tip 2: it would benefit players to not pick fights as the community is still small and people arseholes like Pera have a great deal of trouble forming alliances with people as everybody hates them. So don't get on the bad side of fellow players as you will play with them again an again and again for a long time to come.

Expanding on tip 5: never place many units in defence lines and you should always form them with militia as they are very cheap. Defence lines should only be used to delay your enemy never really as a serious form of defence. The best defence is good offence. Truly, the bulk of "defending" you do should be limited to recruiting infantry or bombers in vulverable cities in anticipation of an attack. Otherwise, you're wasting your money.

Unless you are a hardcore PDfag who places units on every block of the map as PDfags used to do back in the day although you rarely see such a feat nowadays.
----
YOBA:
Youth-Oriented, Bydło-Approved
20.07.2011 - 09:37
7. Choose the correct strategy for the correct map. On a mostly land-based map like Africa in which there's generally little naval conflict, a strategy like Naval Commander is not ideal. However, for a map like the Pacific, NC would be quite effective as there would be lots of maritime warfare.

8. Take out your opponent(s) quickly while annihilating him. Your opponents should be dealt with quickly and, if possible, early in the game, yet you should always assure you are comprehensively wiping out his forces. On a capture-capital game, if you can reach an opponent's capital on the first turn, preferably you should attack it with overwhelming force and seize it. If it's a short capture-capital (2 weeks or so) you can generally stop any attacks with defence lines that will probably have to be rebuilt a few times.

9. Pester your opponent(s) and make him/them panic. If you can force your opponent into panicking through constant yet small attacks on his cities, he will likely overspend on defensive units for his cities. This is a perfect situation, and you should expand into the countries surrounding your opponent before he does, giving you higher income and leaving the opponent in debt and with few offensive units and loads of defensive.

10. For high-income countries, capture all the cities, while in low-income countries (unless there is some strategic purpose to it) you need only take the capital. You can make a load of income off capturing all of a country's cities if it's high-income, though in low-income countries, unless the city(-ies) has some strategic purpose (i.e. it's the only port, it's right beside x capital city of another country) there is no point to capture all the cities as you will not be rewarded with vastly greater income.

11. Marines. These things are awesome. They don't show up on the map unless your opponent detects them and they enable you to surprise-attack any city. They can be stopped by defence lines, though you should wear down the lines with other units (i.e. bombers).
----
Dinner. The imprisonment of arachnids.
20.07.2011 - 14:55
7. Choose the correct strategy for the correct map. On a mostly land-based map like Africa in which there's generally little naval conflict, a strategy like Naval Commander is not ideal. However, for a map like the Pacific, NC would be quite effective as there would be lots of maritime warfare.

West Africa NC is one of the best...
21.07.2011 - 03:33
Yeah, Naval can work just fine in Africa. But you need to be a pro at managing your money.
----
Hello, I listen to Shakira and Rihanna and I support the multiculturalisation of Europe : )
21.07.2011 - 16:08
Rep to NCM-Tos.
Also i believe no. 11 is pretty much included in no. 4,but you can keep it(eventually turn it into an add-on to no. 4,like YOBA did)
and for YOBA's post,i did not really think the community is that small....but if you say so
22.07.2011 - 02:06
13: Play 50k maps only, ask for 12 minutes and take over allies caps when they are empty and betray them. The best country for this strat is czech republic or serbia and make sure to use all of the 12 minutes spamming walls, and if you run out of units to make walls just sit there and afk; try to spam global and flame your opponents by saying "go to fuck" and "i fuck albanian mother". Also use SM and PD only since they are the most fair!

as a side note, always propose duel if you lose and then log off if they say yes.
----
Written by Amok, 31.08.2012 at 03:10
Fruit's theory is correct
Written by tophat, 30.08.2012 at 21:04
Fruit is right

22.07.2011 - 04:56
Written by Fruit, 22.07.2011 at 02:06

13: Play 50k 5 to 10k maps onlymostly, ask for 12 2-3 minutes and take over allies caps when they are empty and betray them depending on map size/amount of people. The best country for this strat Some good countries is are czech republic or serbia and make sure to use all of the 12 minutes spamming walls, and if you run out of units to make walls just sit there and afk but remember to always try new things; try to spam global and flame your opponents by saying "go to fuck" and "i fuck albanian mother" ask other players who you think play well for some ingame tricks as you'll never know what you might find. Also use SM and PD only since they are the most fair!(okay fruit, I'll give you this one.)

as a side note, always propose duel if you lose and then log off if they say yes try not to be too much of a jerk.

there. that's better.
22.07.2011 - 05:35
Written by Shiny Suicune, 22.07.2011 at 04:56

13: Play 50k only mostly, ask for 12 and take over allies caps when they are empty and betray them. The best country for this strat is czech republic or serbia and make sure to use all of the 12 minutes spamming walls, and if you run out of units to make walls just sit there and afk. spam global and flame your opponents by saying "go to fuck" and "i fuck albanian mother" Also use SM and PD only since they are the most fair!

as a side note, always propose duel if you lose and then log off if they say yes try

I'm of suck players on AW

PD and SM players should kill themselves, and lesser players cannot correct GOD-PLAYERS
----
Fruit is right

22.07.2011 - 12:45
Written by YOBA, 22.07.2011 at 12:28

Shouldn't this be moved to the "Game Strategy & Tips" section of the forums?

Done.
----
"Whenever death may surprise us, let it be welcome if our battle cry has reached even one receptive ear and another hand reaches out to take up our arms".
23.07.2011 - 11:30

13: Play 50k maps only, ask for 12 minutes and take over allies caps when they are empty and betray them. The best country for this strat is czech republic or serbia and make sure to use all of the 12 minutes spamming walls, and if you run out of units to make walls just sit there and afk; try to spam global and flame your opponents by saying "go to fuck" and "i fuck albanian mother". Also use SM and PD only since they are the most fair!

as a side note, always propose duel if you lose and then log off if they say yes.

Actually rofl'ed.

@Aristo/Ironail: True, forgot about West Africa.

@tudyboss:
----
23.07.2011 - 11:39
Written by ncmbad, 23.07.2011 at 11:30

Actually rofl'ed.

@Aristo/Ironail: True, forgot about West Africa.

@tudyboss:

It's actually just as good on the east due to Somalia and Mozambique, if you get south africa you can easily go around to angola. North africa is also good, you can go Morocco(destroyers) Tunisia(destroyers) Libya(must be cap'd with transport/units) first turn as algeria and can get european monies pretty easily. Egypt is also very good, basically all of africa is decent with NC.
----
Fruit is right

23.07.2011 - 11:49
May have been a terrible example, but is the principle correct?

Mozambique is difficult as the coastal city always has +7 militia units, which is difficult to fight against in Africa where income is unheard of outside of Pretoria.
----
27.07.2011 - 20:54
Well,if you look at that principle,what if i say that i join in to a whole world game,i take an european country,opponent takes like el salvador,and i think there is no point in taking europe because there are a lot of militia and infantry and i keep my li'l country and wake up with el salvador havin both of the americas?....so it is not worth fearing the neutral troops,just take 'em,7 militia means 7 reinforcements
28.07.2011 - 17:29
 Acquiesce (Mod)
There is no better tip than this. EXPAND QUICKLY.
----
The church is near, but the road is icy... the bar is far away, but I will walk carefully...
29.07.2011 - 02:57
 YOBA
Hah, finally came up with a new one!

14. "Alliancefagging" is good (see tip 2), but never ally China or a decent player who owns India or Russia. These guys will always turn on you as owning all of China and the surrounding area renders a player practically invincible even if they are massive noobs.
----
YOBA:
Youth-Oriented, Bydło-Approved
29.07.2011 - 11:38
Written by tudyboss, 27.07.2011 at 20:54

Well,if you look at that principle,what if i say that i join in to a whole world game,i take an european country,opponent takes like el salvador,and i think there is no point in taking europe because there are a lot of militia and infantry and i keep my li'l country and wake up with el salvador havin both of the americas?....so it is not worth fearing the neutral troops,just take 'em,7 militia means 7 reinforcements

In Europe, you have a lot of income as Sweden and taking the rest of high-income Scandinavia can be done on week 1 - using the Nordic income you can easily take Germany and other high-population countries, so using a combination of many available units and high-income in Europe means the continent falls easily (assuming it is neutrals-only). Africa, meanwhile, gives practically no decent income anywhere outside of South Africa and a few high-pop centres, which makes Africa 10k or below an incredibly difficult map.

I never said don't attack Mozambique, just that it's quite difficult early in in Africa.
----
29.07.2011 - 13:37
Quote:
In Europe, you have a lot of income as Sweden and taking the rest of high-income Scandinavia can be done on week 1 - using the Nordic income you can easily take Germany and other high-population countries, so using a combination of many available units and high-income in Europe means[...]

While this is good in theory, it is shit in practice, unless you have St Petersburg (implying Europe +). The nordic countries have no reinforcements and Berlin is guarded by infantry, meaning you have to bring in a lot of units from scattered northern cities and, more often than not, ship them across.

Written by ncmbad, 29.07.2011 at 11:38

I never said don't attack Mozambique, just that it's quite difficult early in in Africa.

It's not, it only has 4 starting militia in it, for a fairly good income relative to the region.
----
Hello, I listen to Shakira and Rihanna and I support the multiculturalisation of Europe : )
atWar

About Us
Contact

Privacy | Terms of service | Banners | Partners

Copyright © 2024 atWar. All rights reserved.

Join us on

Spread the word