Get Premium to hide all ads
18.07.2015 - 22:15

Hello guys,

It has been a time since the last article. As for the news, there had been several forums / discussion about RA and its possible Nerf (if it will even have any). Many players are happy with Unleashed the king of atWar off-topic, whose already made a bunch of threads as he was used to. Some good tournaments such as The Punishment were hosted, an incoming Eurasia tournament, and of course, HTML version of atWar, that is already open to rank 6+.

I've been working on this thread, called the "History of atWar" for months, with the help of Acquiesce. He convinced me to make this, and I would had never progressed this far without his help. Thanks acqui ! The first volume of the history, called Origins will contain the history of the game from the very beginning, to January, 2011. Additionally to this, Origins is divided in parts, to make it a little larger and include some awesome pictures for references and context. Feel free to comment, discuss, hate n' love and add anything valuable to the thread.

Origins: A great idea - Somewhere in 2008 to November 3, 2010

The original idea of Afterwind started in 2008. Ivan was already admin of another page, and wanted the transition to a bigger project, and Amok was working at the game dev shop. One day, both Ivan and Amok went for a cycling trip - that's where the idea was born. According to Ivan, "[..]We talked about the kind of game we wanted to make, something that would appeal to our own interests, and something within our abilities.[..] The fact that both were fans of strategical games such as Risk and Civilization influenced the future creation of Afterwind.

Since nor Ivan nor Amok had previous experience at game programming they couldn't really assure it was going to be a good game. Ivan came up with some concepts and early graphics, while Amok's Main task was to create a proof-of-concept map engine. Some cool features that differences AW from Risk and Civilization such as looping map and no grid movements were hard tasks to do, but both Ivan and Amok still manages to progress through it. After about a year the process picked up and things started happening.

According to Ivan, "[..] We went through probably hundreds of names before we stopped at Afterwind. I saw it in some military terminology dictionary, literally going through all the words (though as you can see, I didn't have to go much further than A). Yes, the definition was "A wind produced by the updraft accompanying the rise of the fireball of a nuclear explosion and directed toward the burst center.[..]"

After two years of development, the game finally got released to BETA in may 15, 2010. For help with the development, the admins invited many friends. 6 new accounts were created between May and October. Those players came up mostly from Ivan's other website, Metal Storm. According to Ivan, at least the first 35 accounts were all friends and Metal Storm people.

Then 4 new months went by: developments, bug fix, performance and inactivity. The game officially ran 3 test from October 6 to October 8. Around 17 new accounts were made in the first day, and the game officially earned it's first 50 players on October 25. Many bugs were fixed in this period, with the collaboration of Promonex and Guest14502 (Future Moderator).

To support those test, Ivan promoted the game through Reddit. A part of the players criticized the game instead, for his platform (Remember Silverlight was still new). But that didn't stop players from joining - many new players joined to help the developers, while they also were reporting bugs and purposing ideas. Before the close of October, the game database had 137 accounts registered.

After some time, the game was officially released on November 3 , 2010, along with the "Dev blog" forums. Many promises were made by the admins, such as fixing bugs, missions, private games and other features. The community earned 74 new accounts as well, from 189 in November 2 to 263 at the end of November 3. The amount of guest wandering around is still unknown, but is expected to be a pretty high number. Yes guys, Afterwind had begun.

18.07.2015 - 22:50
Thanks I really wanted something like this...
19.07.2015 - 00:05
Jordan
Account deleted
Great
19.07.2015 - 01:53
Cool stuff. will this continue through all the way to now?
----

We are not the same- I am a Martian.
19.07.2015 - 01:58
Written by Helly, 19.07.2015 at 01:53

Yes, otherwise he would miss the great map making strikes.
Mighty Tik-Tok Slayer of Zizou.
19.07.2015 - 02:28
Written by Tundy, 19.07.2015 at 01:58

Yes, otherwise he would miss the great map making strikes.
Mighty Tik-Tok Slayer of Zizou.

You mean the failed coupe of power by aw nazi's lol?
----

19.07.2015 - 03:26
Ahahahhaah typical clovis not bad tough
19.07.2015 - 15:09
I hope everyone was entertained! Pt2 is next week
20.07.2015 - 16:12

This must be followed by the great depression and the RP regimes
20.07.2015 - 16:35
History of AW

2008 - 2010 some drinkings and lsd - game idea
2010 - 2011 started selling this drug to underage childrens
2012 - Clovis joined the cool kids - Written English levels deteriorate
2013 - More Lsd map making tool created so all fantasies come to life - Clovis English Improves
2014 - Amok and Ivan in rehab for much detox - Clovis has regress - Use of Bla is widespread
2015 - Aids threatens Silverlight, html vaccine made

In other news - nice thread I approve such recordings, but does waffel care?
25.07.2015 - 06:21
Written by b0nker2, 20.07.2015 at 16:35

History of AW

2013 - More Lsd map making tool created so all fantasies come to life - Clovis English Improves
2014 - Amok and Ivan in rehab for much detox - Clovis has regress - Use of Bla is widespread

You forgot January 13 2013 > when autism entered AW and a Martian race was born..

D
----

27.07.2015 - 02:53
Written by Sultan of Swing, 25.07.2015 at 06:21

History of AW

You forgot January 13 2013 > when autism entered AW and a Martian race was born..

D

Martians older them that xD
----

27.07.2015 - 08:56
Written by Helly, 27.07.2015 at 02:53

Written by Sultan of Swing, 25.07.2015 at 06:21

History of AW

D

Martians older them that xD

Bla

What little do ik
----

21.05.2018 - 02:38
Great read. Lol
----
I demolish my bridges behind me...then there is no choice but to move forward

21.05.2018 - 08:17
Part 3!
----
I demolish my bridges behind me...then there is no choice but to move forward

atWar

About Us
Contact

Privacy | Terms of service | Banners | Partners

Copyright © 2024 atWar. All rights reserved.

Join us on

Spread the word