Get Premium to hide all ads
10.08.2018 - 20:14
 Witch-Doctor (Mod)
My new WWII era scenario is finished and this is a guide on how it should be played.

Picks

This scenario is a 3v4 consisting of the Chinese United Forces fighting off against the Co-Prosperity Sphere led by Japan.

Hirohito (Japan) and Chiang Kai-shek (Nationalist China) are considered high rank picks.
Mao Zedong (Communist China), Li Zongren (Guanxi Clique), and Emperor Puyi (Manchukuo) are considered mid rank picks.
Chinese Allies and Japanese Allies are low rank picks. They are recommended for someone who wants something easy.

It's recommended to be imp since it is most balanced strat.

The scenario starts off with the Marco Polo Incident where Japan attacks China. While this is happening, there is the Japanese-Russian border conflict going on where Japan clashes with Russia.
Each turn in the scenario represent a month passing historically with turn 1 being June 1937.
Later on the scenario japan will receive french Indochina and Siam, opening up another front against China. China will also receive allies later on such as US Philippines and British India.

Japan's goal is to capture all the chinese capital before being overwhelmed by the USA and it's atomic bombs.
China's goal is to either survive the conflict until the United States can capitulate Japan in Turn 98, or drive the Japanese off the continent by taking their capital in South Korea.

National Focus System

Inspired by HOI4, I've implemented a national focus "tech tree" system into this scenario. It is located on the right side of the map and I will explain how it works in this thread.

As an example, I will be using Nationalist China's tech tree to demonstrate it's mechanics. Every other tech tree works the same way.
In-game, the tech tree for Nationalist China looks like this.

It looks very complicated, but it's easy and intuitive to learn. Here is how to get started.

Getting Started

When you hover over all the cities in your tree, you'll notice they have this "National Focus" unit.

In order to capture the city and thus progress in the tech tree, you need to kill this national focus unit. You kill them with special "unlocker" units you get in your national focus capital. You get one unlocker automatically every reinforcement turn.
Send the unlocker units by itself and attack the desired focus like this.

After doing so, the resulting battle should kill the national focus unit allowing you to capture the city.

From this point on, simply capture the city with infantry from your capital to gain the tech.

Now what do techs do? Well depending on the ones you pick they provide more reinforcement or more income or other effects. This one, "Unified Industrial Planning" gives a simple income bonus to China as you can see here.

Prerequisites

Now that we've covered the basic focuses, now onto the ones with prerequisites. Take the next one down the tech tree as an example. "Taiyuan Arsenal Effort" which provides an income boost like the last one.

Notice that this capital has a "NFC: Unified Industrial Planning" unit inside it as well as the national focus unit. Lucky for us, we've taken Unified Industrial Planning and can build the corresponding prerequisite unit to kill the "NFC: Unified Industrial Planning". Attack the city with the correct prerequisite unit by itself like this. The correct pre-req unit will ALWAYS have the same name. Do not get confused.

This kills the pre-req and leaves militia and the national focus unit. If you've been paying attention, now all you have to do is attack it with the unlocker like so.

After you killed the national focus, simply capture it with infantry to get the focus's bonus, in this case more income.

Frequently Asked Questions
--> Does it matter the order I send the unlocker or the pre-req?

Order does not matter as long as you send them by themselves.

--> What if a focus has more than 1 pre-req?

That just adds another step in which you have to kill the additional pre-req like earlier. This is shown below. Make sure you send the pre-req and the unlocker by themselves.

When done correctly, only militia is left and you can capture it with infantry like so. This one gives another income boost.

--> What about these focuses with another city attached to them like so?

These focuses involved building extra units on the map itself. Lets take a look at this one in particular.

Notice that it has no national focus unit and only the pre-req unit. You can kill it with the correct pre-req unit built from the capital attached to the top of it like so.

Then you can capture it with infantry for it's bonus like this.

This focus in particular allows China to build trains from a certain city on the map. Trains are useful land transports in this scenario.

Other focus allows you to build tanks, aircrafts, battleships, special forces, and so on. The choice is up to you!

Final Words

This scenario has been painstakingly worked on for the past 6 months. The first iteration of it was an html5 map that failed due to a pathways error permanently breaking the map. The entire thing had to be recreated in silverlight. I wanted to change things up and implement this national focus system into my scenario. The system took weeks to come up with and is very complex in nature. There are MANY measures taken to ensure people who try to cheese it are punished and it works as intended for everybody else. I'll say this once, there is NO WAY to cheese the system. Trying to exploit or grief people in the national focus box will result in a map ban if someone SS you doing so. Well that's all I have to say, this scenario showcases everything I have to offer mapmaking wise. I hope you have fun and discover some interesting strategies!
10.08.2018 - 20:48
 Witch-Doctor (Mod)
Here are the focus trees themselves.

Japan

Nationalist China

Manchukuo

Communist China and Guanxi Clique
11.08.2018 - 02:47
 Zoe
Btw how did u edit SL without breaking the map?
----
11.08.2018 - 20:34
Pretty innovative
11.08.2018 - 23:47
The FOCUS TREE was Witch Doctor's idea originally. HOI copied WD!
----
Happiness = reality - expectations
13.08.2018 - 07:49
 Witch-Doctor (Mod)
Alright just finished a massive rework of the scenario.

+ Immersion
+ Hirohito and Chiang start off with an extra focus unlocker (gain it turn 4) since they are major nations. This should make the start of games more interesting.
- For the sake of fun, Indochina/Siam and WW2 event has been pushed back 10 turns. No more waiting forever for that pesky WW2!
+Reworked all the event units.
17.08.2018 - 14:43
Written by Tribune Aquila, 11.08.2018 at 23:47

Actually similar ideas were developed earlier; just weren't called Focus Tree.
Here: https://atwar-game.com/forum/topic.php?topic_id=16848
And here: https://atwar-game.com/forum/topic.php?topic_id=14556

Both map/scenarios date back to 2014.
----
17.08.2018 - 15:17
 Witch-Doctor (Mod)
Written by Columna Durruti, 17.08.2018 at 14:43

Written by Tribune Aquila, 11.08.2018 at 23:47

Actually similar ideas were developed earlier; just weren't called Focus Tree.
Here: https://atwar-game.com/forum/topic.php?topic_id=16848
And here: https://atwar-game.com/forum/topic.php?topic_id=14556

Both map/scenarios date back to 2014.

Our tech tree are done completely differently.

Here is why my system is different from yours.
1. You cannot skip a previous step in my tree. It is nearly completely cheese proof. I cannot stress this one enough, there is almost no way to do the focus tree outside the intended way.
1a. Take your map arvond for example, you can immediately cheese and get the last one for the biggest bonus. (250 compared to the previous two 150 and 200)

2. My system allows for multiple requirement. For example you need to have all W + X + Y to take Z.
2a. In yours from what I see, you need X to take Y. Then twice as many X to take Z.

3. My system works with every strategy. It doesn't matter if someone goes imp, iron fist, lb, blitz.
3a. I test your arvond map with a couple different strategies. With imp, I was having difficulty killing the pikeman unit in the development area. I even got soft locked out of the tree when I sent all my units and they lost the fight to the pikemen. Forcing me to wait till reinf turn. When reinf turn came, instead of buying development to get the next tech, I had to buy cavalry to kill the pikeman and it's not even guaranteed I win the battle.
17.08.2018 - 15:41
Written by Witch-Doctor, 17.08.2018 at 15:17

-snip!-

Absolutely right. There are many differences and you got it better; "standing on the shoulders of a giant one sees further".
Just saying similar outside-map-trigger-schemes have been developed back in 2014.
----
17.08.2018 - 16:03
 Witch-Doctor (Mod)
Written by Columna Durruti, 17.08.2018 at 15:41

Written by Witch-Doctor, 17.08.2018 at 15:17

-snip!-

Absolutely right. There are many differences and you got it better; "standing on the shoulders of a giant one sees further".
Just saying similar outside-map-trigger-schemes have been developed back in 2014.

Ik, i'm not trying to diss your system. I'm just saying we made different ones.
07.04.2021 - 23:59
 Mobster (Mod)
Wow.
atWar

About Us
Contact

Privacy | Terms of service | Banners | Partners

Copyright © 2024 atWar. All rights reserved.

Join us on

Spread the word