Get Premium to hide all ads

Original post

Posted by Dave, 03.12.2018 - 00:32
Hi everyone!

As you've heard I'm the new admin. I'd like to introduce myself, share some of my ideas/plans for atWar, and most importantly get your input.

About me: my name's David (most people call me Dave), from Los Angeles, CA, USA. I'm a programmer by trade and I run a small business creating various apps/software.

I'm new to atWar -- to be honest, I've only been playing for one month. My first knowledge of the game was when I heard the owners were considering selling it. I decided to do some due diligence, so I signed up for the game to see if it was something worth buying. Even though my initial interest was purely from a business perspective, I immediately fell in love with the game. I guess it's kind of a special niche, but I absolutely love strategy/war games like this.

I think the game has a lot going for it, but I also have some concerns. These can be summarized in 3 general categories:

- Bugs. Nothing so terrible that prevented me from playing the game, but definitely there are some bugs that need fixing.

- Stagnating user base. I saw the traffic and revenue numbers. Long story short, they've been more or less slowly declining since 2014. They could be worse, but they could be a lot better.

- Toxicity in the community. There's no point trying to sugar coat this. As a new player, I couldn't believe the negative stuff I saw in the forums and in chat. Some people are nice and welcoming, but there are also some jerks who must get their kicks bullying new players. I'm not naming names, but it's really astonishing -- we've got folks who on the one hand complain about atWar "dying", and then at the same time piss on new players.

I doubt this is "news" to any of you. Reading the forums, it's clear you are all aware of these issues. So what you probably want to know is... what am I planning to do about it?

- Bugs: it's simple, we'll fix them. It will take some time, but it can be done.

- Stagnating user base: I think there are 2 parts to fixing this. 1) bringing in new players, and 2) keeping players around. We can address #1 by investing in some marketing, which is something I am looking into. However to keep players, we need to reduce the toxicity problem, which leads me to:

- Toxicity in the community. I'm not sure how or why things got so bad, but it needs to stop. I'm going to start by making sure our moderators have the tools and resources they need. This might mean adding more moderators, or it might mean giving our existing moderators more powers. I will be talking with our mods about this issue.

Now, I'm not one of these guys who comes in and changes everything. I may take a hard line on certain issues that I think are really important. But for the most part I'm here to listen... there are many people who have been playing this game for a long time and I want to hear your thoughts. I want to enjoy playing atWar just like you do.

One more thing I want to say. I know it was a difficult decision for Amok and Ivan to part with atWar. They created it, they put a lot of blood sweat and tears into it. I think it pained them a lot that they just didn't have the time it needed. I know they still want to see atWar succeed and I'm honored they agreed to let me take the reins. I just want to say that Amok and Ivan will always be welcome here, whenever their schedules permit.

I've shared what my top priorities are at the moment, so now it's your turn. I'm open to any issues or ideas you have. Please reply to this thread with your thoughts... I look forward to your input!

Best wishes,
Dave
04.12.2018 - 10:50
Written by Tirpitz406, 04.12.2018 at 09:55

Written by Player 999, 04.12.2018 at 09:53

You did call me the n-word in that post. And don't deny you're a racist, you've shown a lot of evidence of it. But good luck anyways. No need to keep arguing

Yea, because what you said seemed 100% like trolling. Thats why I insulted you. I don't care wether a word is racially charged. But go on, believe I'm a heretic for having the wrong opinions.

Believe whatever you want, honestly. It won't make any real impact. Believe whatever you want to believe, it's not your fault you think the amount of melanin in someones' skin means anything. Your parents/environment failed you
04.12.2018 - 11:26
fcd1
Account deleted
Written by Player 999, 04.12.2018 at 10:50

Written by Tirpitz406, 04.12.2018 at 09:55

Written by Player 999, 04.12.2018 at 09:53

You did call me the n-word in that post. And don't deny you're a racist, you've shown a lot of evidence of it. But good luck anyways. No need to keep arguing

Yea, because what you said seemed 100% like trolling. Thats why I insulted you. I don't care wether a word is racially charged. But go on, believe I'm a heretic for having the wrong opinions.

Believe whatever you want, honestly. It won't make any real impact. Believe whatever you want to believe, it's not your fault you think the amount of melanin in someones' skin means anything. Your parents/environment failed you

Guys this is not the topic for those debates
04.12.2018 - 13:05
What about the toxicity created by 4nic on my forum post.... Now Fcd3 threatens to banned me, on what grounds do i get banned on?
https://atwar-game.com/forum/topic.php?topic_id=38245
----
04.12.2018 - 13:17
I think the begginers room is working bad currently, it used to be up to rank 4 long ago, now you can stick there until rank 7, its the reason why the game feels so dead now in my opinion, because that room was never meant to be anything but a mechanics tutorial, and now players will start and end their time in this game there, which is detrimental for the quality of the "main" room, since people that leaves from main room isn't replaced by new players currently, that's what i believe at least
04.12.2018 - 13:17
 Dave (Admin)
Written by Tokugawa, 04.12.2018 at 13:05

What about the toxicity created by 4nic on my forum post.... Now Fcd3 threatens to banned me, on what grounds do i get banned on?

You've got the wrong fcd here. If you've got an issue take it up with the mods. Don't hijack this thread.
----
All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer,
but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved.
--Sun Tzu

04.12.2018 - 13:21
Written by Dave, 04.12.2018 at 13:17

You've got the wrong fcd here. If you've got an issue take it up with the mods. Don't hijack this thread.

what is you minion threatening people be banned now that one of his clansmen is being admin, abusing his power already?
----
04.12.2018 - 13:22
Written by Tundy, 04.12.2018 at 09:57

Written by Knoxford, 04.12.2018 at 09:32

If the site hosted the game from the same server that mobile uses then PC and Mobile players would be able to play together.

No shit

I presume you have zero knowledge regarding hosting in general?

I am not a sys admin so my knowledge regarding hosting is the same as the average American. But tell me, what did I say for you to assume I don't know anything about hosting? I dare you to quote my erroneous/ignorant statement.

Also I am confident you are not from the US, as mobile games are a thriving venue. Anyone who thinks mobile is dumb, probably doesn't have a college degree.

When did i say mobile gaming wasn't profitable? I was mocking your idea of porting Atwar to mobile. It is clear to me that you don't know how to play this game, it's very simple: if you knew how to play, you would know that playing from a cellphone will put the player in a huge disadvantage due to the cheer amount of click and dragging.

Have you even played any other games? Tons now allow MOBILE and PC to play together, it's just the smartest business venture. I am not going to waste any time responding to @Tunder as he is extremely uneducated and is just trolling.

>comparing FPS to atwar
lol you don't have to reply if you don't want to, people who read this will know you are acting like a manchild anyway.

Dude you are a troll.

Do you think mobile would use the same GUI interface as PC?

Are you kidding?

Tell me which game that has went to mobile that did.

Clearly you are not only new to the game, but new to computers LOL.
----
In Memory of Knoxford
04.12.2018 - 13:23
 Dave (Admin)
Tokugawa, I don't know what you are talking about but knock it off or I'll ban you myself.
----
--Sun Tzu

04.12.2018 - 13:25
Written by Tokugawa, 04.12.2018 at 13:21

Written by Dave, 04.12.2018 at 13:17

what is you minion threatening people be banned now that one of his clansmen is being admin, abusing his power already?

God you must be fun at parties
04.12.2018 - 13:34
Written by Dave, 04.12.2018 at 13:23

Tokugawa, I don't know what you are talking about but knock it off or I'll ban you myself.

To protect what exactly? How does that even make sense?
----

04.12.2018 - 13:39
 Dave (Admin)
This thread. I'm tired of people hijacking this thread with their petty arguments. Let's all stick to the topic please and have the arguments somewhere else. Thank you
----
--Sun Tzu

04.12.2018 - 13:45
Written by Dave, 04.12.2018 at 13:39

This thread. I'm tired of people hijacking this thread with their petty arguments. Let's all stick to the topic please and have the arguments somewhere else. Thank you

Well, I would like to apologize in behalf of the forum community. But general discussion is usually associated with intense and polarizing discussions. You could try using the "News" section, i have yet to see an argument happen there
04.12.2018 - 13:47
 Dave (Admin)
Written by Tundy, 04.12.2018 at 13:45

Well, I would like to apologize in behalf of the forum community. But general discussion is usually associated with intense and polarizing discussions. You could try using the "News" section, i have yet to see an argument happen there

Next time, I will.
----
--Sun Tzu

04.12.2018 - 13:51
Written by Dave, 03.12.2018 at 00:32

Hi everyone!

Dave,

Bad idea to be in an active clan, too much chance for partisan comments and accusations of being biased - have you considered joining squirrels?
04.12.2018 - 13:55
 Dave (Admin)
Written by b0nker2, 04.12.2018 at 13:51

Hi everyone!

Dave,

Bad idea to be in an active clan, too much chance for partisan comments and accusations of being biased - have you considered joining squirrels?

You are right. The "holy order of fcd" stuff was too funny to pass up so I accepted it, really on a lark. So my sincere apologies to that clan but I will go back to being neutral. No clan for the admin.
----
--Sun Tzu

04.12.2018 - 13:57
Written by Dave, 04.12.2018 at 13:55

Hi everyone!

You are right. The "holy order of fcd" stuff was too funny to pass up so I accepted it, really on a lark. So my sincere apologies to that clan but I will go back to being neutral. No clan for the admin.

At least it will be held on your clan history as a historical art piece
04.12.2018 - 14:00
Written by Noir Brillant, 03.12.2018 at 21:09

Hey David,

Thanks for giving AtWar a second chance.
I'll try to be succinct - which I am most of the time incapable of - so i'll get down to it right now.

I do not know how familiar you are with the casual scene, but we are having major difficulties making the competitive side take off. And I believe it could be solved by a relatively simple fix to the interface.
Let me try to describe the problem.
A typical quick game is started once enough players have joined the game lobby. The country selection phase then takes place, followed by turn 1.
A typical casual game is started when a solo player decides to start it. But the game cannot "wait" for other players to join at the country selection phase; the first player has to pick a country right off and trigger the turn 1 immediately. Then, the other players join on turn 1.
This has many consequences, but here are the main ones IMO:
- You cannot reinforce on the turn you joined; therefore, only the first player that started the game can reinforce on turn 1, all the others players that joined on turn 1 can only reinforce on turn 2. Which gives an unfair advantage to the first player.
- Balance of existing maps is destroyed, even when the first player is honorable enough to reinforce on turn 2, because there is an extra income turn for all players. Therefore, all efforts done by the quick community to balance strategies and maps are lost.
- Coalition Wars (CWs) are very hard to start, because CWs force all players to join in the game lobby - you cannot join later (for obvious reasons).
Casual players have given the name "turn 0" to the country selection phase. We need turn 0 implemented. A simple turn where people can join and pick a country, that's it. Then, it would be followed by the regular turn 1, and everyone could reinforce, and the balance of the maps would be maintained.

As a conclusion to my "succinct" post, I will paste the following comment I wrote after a (rare, very rare) casual tournament was held last year:

Finally, I want to point out the fact that we finished this 32 player casual tournament in less than 2 months - less time than the 64 player quick tournament. Not a fair comparison in all aspects, but still, i think we can conclude, in a sense, that casual tournaments are viable.
Now this brings me to my main point: there exists an interest in casual play. And I believe it's stronger than many players suspect here. And my personal conviction is that if some key problems were addressed, casual games would thrive at an unbelievable rate. So I will use the success of the current tournament as an opportunity to request a single improvement that would revolutionize casual gameplay, and I obviously mean implementing the infamous "Turn 0". This would have a huge increase in fair play for casual games. The casual game community could take advantage of the incredible work done by the quick game community in terms of strategy balancing, mapmaking, ouvertures, etc. It would allow tournaments like this one to be way easier to organize (you cannot even begin to guess how many hours I spent starting games for players, sending emails to give them the game link + password). And competitiveness would not only thrive because of tournaments, but also because it would allow CWs to be started in a more accessible way. I firmly believe that it would attract a lot of new players, and that the AtWar community would largely benefit from implementing turn 0 sooner than later. I believe it's time for the casual community to receive an improvement it deserves. I know the map maker is the priority #1, but I cannot close this tournament without one last plea to Ivan, Amok, and Clovis1122 to implement this "Turn 0" soon.

Thank you

In terms of retaining older players casual development would be great, I actually think it has more potential in the long run than quick game room - for example there is a lot more flexibility in terms of viable maps for casual games. Just needs that turn 0 fix or a 'joining turn' to eliminate the elephant in that room (so to speak)
04.12.2018 - 15:21
 4nic

Hi everyone!

Dave,

Was funny.
At least we got this funny SS out of it

Also sorry from my behalf about this tokugawa stuff, hes bringing up irrelevant threads from months ago that shouldnt even be in your attention at all.
----
''Everywhere where i am absent, they commit nothing but follies''
~Napoleon

04.12.2018 - 15:23

Hi everyone!

Dave,

traitor D
----
04.12.2018 - 19:00
Hey, there was an idea about having a free scenario every week. i really like that idea.
04.12.2018 - 20:40
OWL SUPPORTS O,O

post was made by #owlgang
----
I demolish my bridges behind me...then there is no choice but to move forward

04.12.2018 - 20:54
Dont make this game one of them pay to win trash games. most of the good players dont play as meta hasn't changed in god knows how long. and i been r7 for 3 years save this game so i can finally hit r8 <3 gl
----
I demolish my bridges behind me...then there is no choice but to move forward

04.12.2018 - 21:49
- I might get memed for this, but in regards to the toxicity of the community, it won't be solved by people who bitch and whine about their feelings being hurts or ego's being shut down by another person's insults. Back then, people quite freely used the Mute/Ignore feature and went on with playing. Now It it seems that people oh so conveniently forgot this exists due to a malicious intent to attack the people they deem ideological enemies like some sort of crusade and trying to convince new developer blood into feeding their self-interest. (I'd say that is toxic in itself) One aspect of AW's chat is that people like to fight each other, make jokes and banter about. Even if some of the content projected is triggering to those with self worth issues. Every insult is mostly a joke as I've observed and the only real trash talk is when discussing a players skill (These are the arguments that turn heated most of the time). Players here for awhile have developed thick skins and it's mostly the lower ranks who complain. If people cannot handle that not everyone is going to carter/pamper them and fit their singular worldviews, then helping their mental sickness isn't possible, but they should not force nonsense here or towards David, begging him to make them feel "Safe". Although, another layer to "toxicity" is when two players have a PERSONAL confrontation and since this is a chat based game, it can be observed and more often than not laughed at for the sheer stupidity. (Plenty of personal beef can be noted on this site) Some of the toxicity is fake, some for the fun of triggering others, and some may be genuine. However, cracking down on such subjectivity within thought/language needs mediation not annihilation.

- Rankism is legitimate: but the only reason has developed is the overt trolling of the very new blood we seek to acquisition. Failed games, complaints and pestering of older players. Those who stay are quite patient and love this game as proof for them being here taking the torture. To solve this would require a tutorial that is not so useless and more interactive. Perhaps a YT channel or Media page could also assist in "educating" the new about AW mechanics and Basically culture. AW is a mix of those from many backgrounds, nations and perceptions. Of course there will be conflict, but it could be lessened (maybe). This also adds to the "toxicity" since other people with wholly opposite values do tend to "troll" such as the time with our Turkish infestation period of AW where the praising of ottoman glory, Islamic glorification, Christianity bashing and lack of proper communication due to English not being spoken was a thing. Also didn't help when the Balkan population (Serb/Croat met the Turkish one). Good example of cross-cultural conflict.

- Getting older players to be less hostile to newbros: This is a hurdle that is really the obstacle, not rankism itself. Many high ranks are willing to teach, mentor and help newbros. Some are just blatantly anti-new or anti-instruct. But this has always been around. It may not be easy to introduce.

- *COUGH* the map editor, needs to be like it was during the glorious Silverlight days, once that content generator is completely fixed and able to be utilized, then AW shall soar like it was always meant to.

- Chat and speech: This is a valued aspect of the game, changing this will not sit well with the influx or maintenance our "specific" player base of historical map loving blood-lusting psychopaths.

- Last but not least: "Want a Mod who knows the difference between troll, meme and attack? Want a mod who won't abuse and hawk-eye the mods who do? Want a new era of peaceful bloodletting purges of the areas of radioactive poison? A promoter and advocator of all maps and game modes? A kind and impartial stout? # Libra goals, Well look no further, Himmy for Mod 2k19! Promote and support the rise of the 12/7 mod today! - Propaganda brought to you by Stalin's Ministry of Love.
05.12.2018 - 05:51
Hello Dave,

Thanks for injecting new life into this game.

In regards to marketing the game:

(1A) Maybe advertise to some Russians, this would draw in huge numbers of strategy players which would actually play the Soviet Union and create the Commintern forces which this game has always lacked, currently the game is always heavy with players in Western Europe and Asia and USA but rarely Russia.

(1B) If you encourage Ruskies to the game expect them to use russian in chat, maybe an extra chat server for them.

Russian players entering the game will create competition for the rest of the world, they could become our punching bags so to speak, as it worked wonders in other games such as H&G.

(2) Risk Comparison: I would delete the Risk game comparison, it makes the game sound small and pathetic, its much more involved then Risk, it should be compared to games like Hearts of Iron which was originally a counter board game.

(3) Facebook would be a waste of advertising money as the conversion ratio would be below 0.01% imho
, advertising on Chess websites would be better spent.
05.12.2018 - 11:22
New owner makes a topic and only 4 pages of posts here. People busy buying gifts maybe?
----
If a game is around long enough, people will find the most efficient way to play it and start playing it like robots
05.12.2018 - 11:48
Written by Dave, 03.12.2018 at 12:29

Written by Goblin, 03.12.2018 at 08:33

HA! That really made me laugh, thank you

Honestly if you payed Goblin to come back and make more vids many of the older players would come back just for them.
----
Humans are only a suicidal sub species of Chimps running a muck on this planet.
05.12.2018 - 15:43
Quote:
Quote:

First of All you are welcome and i hope you will achieve your goals game will prosper.

There are too many technic problems on atwar like bugs uncompleted map and scinario editor which is full of bugs i think you can solve these problems soon if you have convinient skill and you can fully focus on it is easiest part.

Bringing new players is also not that much hard if you invest on marketing.

Keeping old and new players are hardest one becouse it doesnt depend on you fully. If you want to succeed on this i think you should solve or find a new regulator system for the give points in the below

1. Low ranks doesnt know to play game properly and this leads them to leave game early or do wrong things like wall fuck or rewall all of these ruins games
2. There are 3 or 4 game playing tips in atwar like rp, scinario, competetive games(3v3, duel) and world 50k.
Low ranks and unexperienced players plays World 50k and RP games becouse it doesnt require game playing skills, just talk more, allyfag and gangbang 1 player play unfairly as you can therefore players who play these 2 cannot adapt to other games and break rules.
There are 2 kinds of players among sinario players who can play competetive games and understand game rules and people from rp and 50k games which ruin the games hosted.

If you want to succeed mark players like rp or 50 k players, scinario players, 3v3 players and players who can play all of these 3. Let comunity vote each other for these use a system something like voting or classify players.
And let game hosts to close game for any of these tags. For example a 3v3 game player hosts eu+ 3v3 and makes it closed for scinario and rp players or let rp players close game for 3v3 players.
Rank system doesnt solve this problem forget it.

4. It takes time to learn this game.
Create a single player mode let players to play against computer. For example i cannot play my favorite maps or scinarios becouse it doesnt fill or it fails becouse of someone. Atwar has great content if you create single player mode you can get millions as profit from these game.

5. Toxic people they ar all around. I am desperate for this option i really dont know how you can solve this...
6. Mods. If you want to give them more power think twice.
Lets us to vote them monthly
Create regulator system for yourself
They usually abuse their powers against players.
05.12.2018 - 17:18
Written by Tirpitz406, 03.12.2018 at 08:19

Written by Sultan of Swing, 03.12.2018 at 07:30

I've been saying this for years, our rules are extremely vague (in my opinion) and theres a lot of gray areas in the realm of enforcement

But thats because Amok and Ivan just said fuck it and let you mods figure it out. Vril truely was a glorious motherfucker for taking this to the absolute peak of power abuse.

Vril was a horrible mod
----
05.12.2018 - 21:23
Quote:
Quote:
Written by ulvi., 05.12.2018 at 15:43

4. It takes time to learn this game.
Create a single player mode let players to play against computer. For example i cannot play my favorite maps or scinarios becouse it doesnt fill or it fails becouse of someone. Atwar has great content if you create single player mode you can get millions as profit from these game.

I definitely second this - very interesting point! It would help to learn somewhat, though I learned by getting my butt kicked, like most people here.
----
Embrace the void
05.12.2018 - 22:12
Can't start a new game ,why?
bug?
atWar

About Us
Contact

Privacy | Terms of service | Banners | Partners

Copyright © 2024 atWar. All rights reserved.

Join us on

Spread the word