Get Premium to hide all ads
12.02.2020 - 18:24

Colonial Empires: 1640-1700

Build your empire and conquer the world in the Age of Discovery (work in progress)

Settings
This scenario must be played with 17 players and encourages the use of roleplay and diplomacy. Some optional rules are: 1) All wars must be declared in chat; 2) Don't war until turn 3.

Suggested turn duration: 5 minutes.
Suggested alliance limit: 4 allies.
Victory condition: total annihilation.
Max. game duration: 50 turns.

Play styles
All factions are categorized with different play styles based on their roles in the world during the 17th century. Those are not teams, they are just categories.

Expansionist Empire
Difficulty level: 3.5 / 5
Recommended strategy: Imperialist, Naval Commander.
Factions: British Empire, Spanish Empire, Portuguese Empire.
Aspects: Expansionist Empires are notable colonists that took control of major portions of the Americas. They are the only factions that can use their Atlantic routes to move huge amounts of units from the New World to Europe (vice versa). They also must bring supplies and commodities from colonies to the Capital, so they can be sold and improve the faction's cash income. These factions have the best and most expensive naval units. Trade units will eventually spawn on their Atlantic lanes, they must be destroyed on the Trade nodes in order to keep the economy stable.

Rising Empires
Difficulty level: 3 / 5
Recommended strategy: Perfect Defense, Iron Fist, Great Combinator.
Factions: Ottoman Empire, Sultanate of Morocco, Habsburg Monarchy.
Aspects: Nations that gets stronger over time, some of them will get events in neutral countries, other ones will receibe special defence units in mid game to defend their core lands. All Rising Empires unlocks very good elite units in late game.

Decadent Monarchies
Difficulty level: 3 / 5
Recommended strategy: Imperialist, Perfect Defense, Iron Fist.
Factions: Dano-Norwegian Realm, Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth.
Aspects: The Decadent Monarchies are nations that are unable to expand their empire further due to atrittion that they got in previous/ongoing wars, they have large amounts of territory, but may have a hard time to defend it from invaders. Those factions have a very weak navy and won't be able to recruit elite units in mid/late game.

Great Powers
Difficulty level: 2 / 5
Recommended strategy: Imperialist, Relentless Attack, Lucky Bastard.
Factions: French Empire, Holy Roman Empire, Tsardom of Russia.
Aspects: Powerful and huge, that's the definition of the Great Powers. They have a good amount of territories and it's easy to defend them due to large reinforcements. All factions will constantly receive event units during the game.

Minor Powers
Difficulty level: 2.5 / 5
Recommended strategy: Perfect Defense, Relentless Attack, Iron Fist, Imperialist.
Factions: Dutch Republic, Native Confederations, Ethiopian Empire, Venetian Republic, Italian States, Swedish Empire.
Aspects: Those are nations with small territorial claims, but eager to fight for conquest! They must rely on their starting special units to survive the struggle. Don't have huge armies, few elite units and won't be able to expand their economy so easily.

Rules for RP
1) No war until turn 3.
2) Great Powers cannot ally Expansionist Empires if they already have two (02) or more allies.
3) Tsardom of Russia and Habsburg Monarchy cannot ally any Rising Empire until all Decadent Monarchies are terminated.
4) Decadent Monarchies must be at war with at least one (01) Rising Empire.
5) Minor Powers cannot have more than one (01) allied Great Power.
6) Native Confederations must be at war with at least one (01) Expansionist Empire if there's more than one alive.
7) The Pope (Italian States) can issue orders to self-proclaimed catholic countries .

Event list
Work in progress...
13.02.2020 - 07:02
Are you cloning the map ?
13.02.2020 - 10:30
Written by Ivan., 13.02.2020 at 07:02

Are you cloning the map ?

No, I did the whole thing. But I'll leave the map free to clone by others.
13.02.2020 - 22:47
He's only gone and done it again !!!
----
Lest we forget
Moja Bosna Ponosna
14.02.2020 - 12:31
 4nic
This map looks amazing
----
''Everywhere where i am absent, they commit nothing but follies''
~Napoleon

15.02.2020 - 23:54
A couple of things on my end from my experience playing.

- Make a rule against France and UK, and even Spain allying. There should only be certain scenarios where they ally.
There comes a point in the game where they allying is literally a threat to the game and make people leave because they ally, and then go to defend their ally who is losing a 1v1 which has been played all game; it just ruins the game for everyone. On top of this, they don't need to fight in Europe or the Colonies, they can choose to fight in the colonies and just truce in Europe or vice versa; that's what they did in real life.

- Make cities for the UK/Spanish/Portuguese trade routes in Europe.

Making cities here provides an actual threat to their troops going to and from the New World.

As I play.. I will make more suggestions
----
16.02.2020 - 00:15
The brain on your shoulders be cloned
----
16.02.2020 - 09:48
Written by Alois, 15.02.2020 at 23:54

Brilliant! Thank you. That first playtest was actually meant to test and look for income problems, reinforcements issues, possible glitches and units. The next one I'll add the special defence buildings, add late-game buildings. The third will have the events. Supply lanes will be much more important with the events.
16.02.2020 - 10:14
Written by Estus, 16.02.2020 at 09:48

Written by Alois, 15.02.2020 at 23:54

Brilliant! Thank you. That first playtest was actually meant to test and look for income problems, reinforcements issues, possible glitches and units. The next one I'll add the special defence buildings, add late-game buildings. The third will have the events. Supply lanes will be much more important with the events.

I would also suggest adding in the following:

- Updated and more-realistic Appalachian mountains.
This serves as a defensive barrier between both the Natives and the European Settlers; It's a barrier that wasn't "fully" defeated until the French-Indian War (7 years war).

- Add The Mississipi River.
As the Natives will eventually be beaten, this serves as a fallback and fortification point; and behind it is cities that are very much needed. This also serves as an advantage to the Europeans when and if they get access to the river as they can send reinforcements up the river.

- Add The St. Lawrance River.
The St. Lawrance was the primary reason why the French were able to get to Midwestern America and get the trade/alliance that they did. Currently, I see Britain almost every time getting a chunk of that land. If the St. Lawrance river was added, France would be able to send troops where Britain cannot early game; with this, it also provides defensive support for the Natives as they can send troops of men, block off the river for the Europeans, and ultimately use it as means of faster supply lines.

- Add Norwegian Mountains.
Currently, the Dane-Norwegian player can just send units straight through this area, having an advantage over the Swedish player who does not have as many reinforcements in the area compared to the Dane-Norwegian player. Putting mountains here would provide a bigger need for a Dane-Norwegian player to go a defense strategy as they are a Decadent Monarchy; they should not be able to expand that much and if so slowly do it over time.

- Add Spanish mountains.
Putting mountains here makes it less easy for the Morrocian Sultanate to conquer Spain. Not only this it provides protection against Portugal, France, and other eastward players.

- French mountains.
This provides protection against Venice or the Pope, well more protection. If France doesn't ally one of the two and help them out, they will ultimately have to fight a war in this gap, and with the Alps in their way, they are at a massive disadvantage versus Italy due to the sheer amount of cities and reinforcements in the area. They need to pull in troops from outer France compared to Northern Italy.

- Updated Balkan mountain range.
Having an extended, more thick mountain range provides defensive support for both the Ottomans, Polish, and Hungarians. It also is a strategic point that those powers, if at war, must hold if they are to win.

- Add in Czech-Slovak mountains.
Adding these mountains would make it less likely for Austria-Hungary to invade Poland and vice-versa. It also provides a defensive barrier between the two.

- Add in the Turkish mountains.
This would make it harder for the Turkish player to just send units through to his front and hard for players such as Russia and Poland to use the Black Sea to get to his outer territories.

----
19.02.2020 - 23:48
Updated:
- St. Lawrence river added.
- Danube river added.
- 75% events done.
- Balance changes in Ethiopia and Morocco.

Check the rules for roleplay! (optional)

Edit: Since the map is almost done and major balance issues are fixed, the scenario is now available to play. The map will remain unpublished until the balance gets finished.
20.02.2020 - 19:11
Make more Op Americas, after all in that age was the golden age of piracy because America wa svery rich (gold, silver).

Also, the spanish empire even had forts in Alaska, so take all for buff a lot America and make it a decent theather for eu powers.
01.03.2020 - 13:47
 4nic
I still highly reccomend merging venice inside italian states, will make it more appealing for gameplay.
also naples to spain
----
~Napoleon

09.03.2020 - 14:59
Make venice part of the italian states
09.03.2020 - 23:40
Written by 4nic, 01.03.2020 at 13:47

I still highly reccomend merging venice inside italian states, will make it more appealing for gameplay.
also naples to spain

Written by hoiumis, 09.03.2020 at 14:59

It would need a lot of work to give Venice to Italy, but maybe in the future if it affects the gameplay.

I'll think about giving Naples to Spain, at first I gave it to Italian States for balance, even knowing it was spanish territory, but there is probably another way to balace that.
11.03.2020 - 07:04
 4nic
Written by Estus, 09.03.2020 at 23:40

Written by 4nic, 01.03.2020 at 13:47

also naples to spain

Written by hoiumis, 09.03.2020 at 14:59

It would need a lot of work to give Venice to Italy, but maybe in the future if it affects the gameplay.

I'll think about giving Naples to Spain, at first I gave it to Italian States for balance, even knowing it was spanish territory, but there is probably another way to balace that.

idk you can just delete venice and give lands to italian, all the italian events will stay if u dont want them to get deleted. But ye i also mentioned naples cause if you merge those then italians will need slight nerf, which naples will provide.
----
~Napoleon

17.03.2020 - 16:24
France is incredibly weak in EU and colonies, pls fix this.
----
i think i might be hairbags - zizou
17.03.2020 - 16:46
Written by hairbags, 17.03.2020 at 16:24

France is incredibly weak in EU and colonies, pls fix this.

I'll see what can be done and update the map tomorrow. It's not the first time someone complains about France beign too weak.
18.04.2020 - 15:04
France needs buff if u want to make it a great power or make it expansionist power, and otto a great power.
----
27.05.2020 - 09:53
Minors seem pretty weak could maybe use a small buff
27.05.2020 - 13:29
Minors are weak, there is no way to avoid that. They can't be rushed tho.
06.06.2020 - 07:20
Why is the Dutch republic a minor power in this map? This was the litteral dutch golden age, an age where they clashed multiple times with Major and colonial powers, often with several at the same time.
----
Infinctus Callidas, Decus Aeternum
06.06.2020 - 08:21
Written by Professor Pliny, 06.06.2020 at 07:20

Why is the Dutch republic a minor power in this map? This was the litteral dutch golden age, an age where they clashed multiple times with Major and colonial powers, often with several at the same time.

You are absolutely right, but don't let the term "minor power" fool you.

The Dutch Republic is my favorite nation on this scenario, so I can assure you it is quite powerful, having colonies literally in every continent and a good economy.

In this scenario, the definition of minor power is: "Those are weak and vulnerable nations that must rely on their starting special units to survive the struggle. They have small armies, few elite units and won't be able to expand their economy so easily."

Compared to Expansionist Empires/Great Powers, the Dutch lack reinforcement capacity. Vulnerability is also a strong factor that defines the minor powers, Netherlands have colonies everywhere, but they are quite isolated and hard to defend in case of a massive attack (different from British America, Portuguese Brazil, Spanish Caribbean). This is why France also isn't a Expansionist Empire, but a Great Power instead. Another factor is "must rely on their starting special units to survive the struggle".
06.06.2020 - 15:02
Written by Estus, 06.06.2020 at 08:21

Written by Professor Pliny, 06.06.2020 at 07:20

You are absolutely right, but don't let the term "minor power" fool you.

The Dutch Republic is my favorite nation on this scenario, so I can assure you it is quite powerful, having colonies literally in every continent and a good economy.

In this scenario, the definition of minor power is: "Those are weak and vulnerable nations that must rely on their starting special units to survive the struggle. They have small armies, few elite units and won't be able to expand their economy so easily."

Compared to Expansionist Empires/Great Powers, the Dutch lack reinforcement capacity. Vulnerability is also a strong factor that defines the minor powers, Netherlands have colonies everywhere, but they are quite isolated and hard to defend in case of a massive attack (different from British America, Portuguese Brazil, Spanish Caribbean). This is why France also isn't a Expansionist Empire, but a Great Power instead. Another factor is "must rely on their starting special units to survive the struggle".

I see. I look forward to playing it myself some day. It looks really good
----
Infinctus Callidas, Decus Aeternum
12.09.2023 - 09:06
Updated!
atWar

About Us
Contact

Privacy | Terms of service | Banners | Partners

Copyright © 2024 atWar. All rights reserved.

Join us on

Spread the word