Get Premium to hide all ads

Poll

Vote vote vote vote vote vote vote vote vote vote vote vote vote vote

Yes, change the elo system
no, I want it to stay the same

Total votes: 21
21.06.2020 - 21:27
 temp
Its already being added, but I thought it would be a good idea to atleast do a poll about it to see how many people disagree with the new change.
----

21.06.2020 - 22:01
Anyone who says no is insecure about their true skill and doesnt want their 1421 elo to be put on the back burner change my mind
22.06.2020 - 00:17
 Witch-Doctor (Mod)
This is the wrong way to stop elo camping. I'm more in favor of a elo decay system for people who stop dueling. All this does is make it less convenient for the vast majority of players to judge the skill of their opponent.

The way it is now, let just say I'm some average rank 8 no name dueler. If I duel someone and I see they are 1200 elo, I would know they are average strength and around my level.

With the change, I would have to check their profile to figure out how good they are because most if not everybody will be around 1000-1200 elo seasonal.

In the new system, even top player will be around 1100-1300 elo. The average player will have to put extra effort into figuring out the skill of their opponent.

Elo is simply supposed to represent player skill. In games like chess, if I see someone is rated 2000, I know they are pretty good at chess. If people's chess ratings got reset every year, there would be more confusion about the strength of players. You would have to do extra research like see their past games, etc...

Honestly, this change won't really affect me at all. Afterall, why should it. I'm comfortable taking on anyone in a duel.

But you should be careful what you ask for. The average player won't handle this change the same way as I do. This won't be an easy quick fix solution like you think Sphinx.

Lastly, there is nothing wrong about people wanting to have something to be proud of themselves for. It's why people continue to play this game once we get all the upgrades. Once you have enough SP to buy all the upgrades, there really is no reason to continue playing the game except for achievement and accolades. People find values in meaningless pixels like trophies and your elo. Making it harder to show off your elo is the wrong way of stopping campers. It punishes everybody even if they camp or not. Like I said, a simple elo decay system would do the trick without takin away from people's personal satisfaction from their elo

For many people, elo is why they continue to play atwar. Don't punish the many for the action of the few.
22.06.2020 - 00:31
Honestly I don't think anything would help. It's not that easy to go around people's social anxieties.

I don't believe you'll be able to get much more of the existing pool of competitives. If you wish the scene to become more active the solution is probably to ascertain midrankers don't quit.
----

22.06.2020 - 06:29
Written by Witch-Doctor, 22.06.2020 at 00:17

With the change, I would have to check their profile to figure out how good they are because most if not everybody will be around 1000-1200 elo seasonal.

I don't see the issue in that. Just duel anyone, not only those on your level or those you know you can win. That's when ELO works perfectly, when everyone has to fight everyone, even if it's a rank 8.
----
Don't ever look down on someone unless you're helping him up. Don't ever treat someone else the way you wouldn't want others to treat you.
We're all people.

22.06.2020 - 10:28
 Witch-Doctor (Mod)
Written by RaulPB, 22.06.2020 at 06:29

Written by Witch-Doctor, 22.06.2020 at 00:17

I don't see the issue in that. Just duel anyone, not only those on your level or those you know you can win. That's when ELO works perfectly, when everyone has to fight everyone, even if it's a rank 8.

Everybody should not be taking on everybody. I hesitate to duel low ranks and low elo because it would just be a pubstomp. Some r8 isnt gonna learn anything when someone mops the floor with him in 3 turns.
22.06.2020 - 11:20
Written by Witch-Doctor, 22.06.2020 at 10:28

Everybody should not be taking on everybody.

Yes, they should, precisely to improve the precision of the elo rating.

I hesitate to duel low ranks and low elo because it would just be a pubstomp.

Where's the problem in proving that? Maybe you could be surprised anyway, there could be elo limits, just like rank limits.

Some r8 isnt gonna learn anything when someone mops the floor with him in 3 turns.

That depends on whether you try to explain or teach him something from his defeat. And even if you don't, he'll try to learn something by paying attention or asking someone if he's interested enough in improving, don't worry about it.
----
Don't ever look down on someone unless you're helping him up. Don't ever treat someone else the way you wouldn't want others to treat you.
We're all people.

atWar

About Us
Contact

Privacy | Terms of service | Banners | Partners

Copyright © 2024 atWar. All rights reserved.

Join us on

Spread the word