Get Premium to hide all ads
28.08.2020 - 16:26
Ultimate Ancient Guide (KT's West Only) V2.0

This thread pretends to compound a base for ancient games, 5 / 10k and from 1v1 to 5v5 games, even could be a after a more thorough analysis for cws.

Since I started to practice Ancient about 2 months ago with mister- master Dr. Known and after many games, plus, lately it seems the Ancient scene is coming back. I considered to create a collection of tips for those who are willing to start in this map, pretending to play competitively or even just for fun. Wish this thread can be helpful for you all.

Let's see if Ancient competitive scene can be revived and this thread can somehow help. A first read of RaulPB's guide is fully recommended.
https://atwar-game.com/forum/topic.php?topic_id=33720

Must mention the current analysis is made under some considerations, both economical, troops, expansions and region ones. All data has been collected by games and manually since cannot access the map by the map editor. Then by excel, an assessment to the initial picks, expansion options and eventually the quality of regions using a bunch of measurable variables. Note, upgrades or strategies are not included on the valuation as will depend on each player, despite it is not a minor factor. In case there's a high demand of all the data mentioned I'll enclose a link to it.

- COUNTRIES ANALYSIS

• Countries with specials
GREEN - High performance
YELLOW - Medium performance
RED - Lower performance
NON-HIGHLIGHTED - No special units

• Income per turn
GREEN - Income above 325
YELLOW - Income between 176- 325
RED - Income between 100- 175
NON-HIGHLIGHTED - Income below 100

• Number of units
GREEN - Units above 10
YELLOW - Units between 7- 9
RED - Units between 4- 6
NON-HIGHLIGHTED - Units below 4

- TROOPS

The purpose of this guide is not to mention the creators, describe map's history or characteristics of the units.
But one differentiating and remarkable point is the use of "Special" land units, included on the chart below. Its use is completely recommended for the t1 in 5k. Otherwise you will get broke and for 10k combining during game as will be mentioned further on, which will allow a solid expansion.

Also, there isn't a shade of doubt, that the "Archers" with +8 def vs "Infantry" will be a high-ranking characteristic under certain circumstances.

- PICKS

Next some screenshots will be shown as the most recommended picks for 5/10k. Nonetheless it may vary depending on the other team picks (counterpicks) or if previously planned by your team. At any case, consider the strongest territories for a smoother game expansion but keeping the balance of the team's picks. You are still encouraged to have your own favourite picks or game play style.

• 5K STARTING FUNDS GAME (GREEN/YELLOW/ORANGE)

After analysis on the economics, units, troops defending, regions, expansion options among others. These are in my opinion the best territories and secondary picks, with each and my final score for 5k and 10k.

• Campania - 7,77 pts
  • Sparta - 7,62 pts
  • Carthago Empire, Thapsus (Mid.) - 7,53 pts
  • Atica - 7,38 pts
  • Rodhos - 7,09 pts
  • Viking Tribes - 6,80 pts
  • Middle Egypt - 6,77 pts
  • Maeotis - 6,66 pts
  • Central Gaul - 6,46 pts
  • Britannia Superior - 6,34 pts
  • Pontus - 6,32 pts
  • Upper Egypt - 6,31 pts

Pay attention, that these picks are mostly around Mediterranean Sea which will be the main battlefield, where most picks will gather and the game will be decided. Although in 4v4 or 5v5 picks it is necessary to have picks in the west/ northern Europe region or even middle east, that will be whether a source of funds or bring a late game team strategy.

• 10K STARTING FUNDS GAME (BLUE- WHITE)

• Macedonia - 7,73 pts
  • Latium - 7,50 pts *
  • Carthago Empire (Up) - 7,48 pts *
  • Syria - 7,35 pts
  • Lower Egypt - 6,90 pts *
  • Babylonia - 6,53 pts *
  • Ma'in - 6,77 pts
  • Mesopotamia - 6,44 pts

Note - Despite I wanted to mention for the 10K games high cost countries and Inf defending (*). There are still better picks than go straight forward to Latium and Carthago (Up) for example Campania or Carthago Empire, Thapsus (Mid.) in mid-east, Meso, Arabia or even Ma'in as I was directed by some player. As mentioned previously depends on your team and your enemies' picks.

All explained above will be shown and clarified on the following screenshot for an easier understanding.

GREEN - Main picks 5k
YELLOW - Secondary picks 5k
ORANGE - Circumstantial picks 5k
BLUE - Main picks 10k
WHITE - Secondary picks 10k

• PICKS TO AVOID

Normally all those with no ports and no special units, cause won't give much expansion options. There are always some exceptional circumstances that your team or after some games you will recognize.

• COUNTERPICKS

Despite there can be many more this is just the main to start understanding each country role.

• Sparta - Carthago Empire (Mid.) / Campania / Atica
  • Macedonia - Syria
  • Upper Egypt - Ma'in / Middle Egypt / Arabia
  • Pontus - Rodhos / Maeotis / Tribus Slavs
  • Vikings - Britannia Superior
  • Central Gaul - Hispania / Germania Superior

Note - Numidia, could be mentioned as counterpick for Hispania or Carthago, and Mesopotamia for Syria and Arabia.

- STRATS

Just a brief summary about them and their main factors linked to this map, for further considerations, https://atwar-game.com/units.php

• IF

Most commonly used, lower range but higher Hit Points (more resistance) that allows strong expansions, big stacks and still acceptable range. Just for prem members.
o Main unit - Inf
o Expendable unit - Mil/ Inf
o OP unit - Special
o Advantage - Round strat/ All game

• PD

Mostly used as counterpart to IF and for non prem, strong defence, long wide range of moves, attack reduction. Slower expansion but robust defence against IF. Must be played wisely. [RaulPB]
o Main unit - Inf
o Expendable unit - Mil/ Inf
o OP unit - Special
o Advantage -Infantry spam in mid game [RaulPB] / Mid - lategame

• RA

Potential for a fast expansion but weak against an enemy attack or facing more than 1 enemy. As GW relies on a safe first turns expansion to build your army. Personally, risky strategy.
o Main unit - Cav
o Expendable unit - Cav
o OP unit - Cav + Special
o Advantage - Outnumber Cav / Mostly early game

• NC

Interesting strat for coastal cities (port capitals), allows attacks where are not expected and a fast exp. Not recommended for 5K.
o Main unit - War ship
o Expendable unit - Militias/ Inf + transport ships [RaulPB]
o OP unit - Special + War ship
o Advantage - Sea range / Early game

• Blitz

Unexpected strat, just for far away picks, fast expansionist and 100% accurate rushes, furthermost range but weak defence and really expensive. Mostly for early surprises but will burn money. Personally, not recommended.
o Main unit - Special + Carriage
o Expendable unit - Mil
o OP unit - Carriage options expansions
o Advantage - Range / Early game

• GW

Mainly for non- coastal cities, allows fund team and a mid- fast exp. It is necessary to have a certain space between you and your opponent. Heavily relies on a safe expansion to build up your army. But in later stages of the game becomes a huge powerhouse [RaulPB]
o Main unit - Stealth + Mil
o Expendable unit - Mil
o OP unit - Special + Stealth
o Advantage - Funding / Lategame

• IMP

Used to slowroll, offers a good advantage in money affairs in return to -1 att, but no limitations in defence and range. Strong in late game to outnumber enemies. Personally, not recommended.
o Main unit - Inf + Cav
o Expendable unit - Mil/ Inf/ Cav
o OP unit - Inf/ Cav + Special
o Advantage - Outnumber units, funding/ Mid - lategame

• LB [RaulPB]

Designed for large stacks of units, where the sum of the critical probabilities are more certain, all the units will have an increase of the price. Not fully recommended, quite risky.
o Main unit - Inf
o Expendable unit - Inf + mil
o OP unit - Special
o Advantage - Lategame / Big stacks

- EXPANSION TIPS 5k / 10k

This section is one of the most important imo, about how to manage a powerful expansion. I would recommend as mentioned the use of "Specials" due to its att/def.

• T1

- Wall capital!
- Special units + Infantry / Sea transport or *(carriage) -----> Expansion
- Attack with "Special units" at least a half of the units in the city (i.e. 4 mil in city = 2 specials)
- Mark that you would be needing to get high income countries for an easier economics managing. [Dr. Known]
Keep in mind your enemy expansion and mind the stack attacking, even expanding to non- common cities to assure a proper t2.

• T2

- Further expansions, check own capital.

Attacking considerations

- Break enemy walls and conquer countries around enemies' cap. Be careful, remind after all you would be weak to a potential rush.
- Create infantry or your preference troops for the rest of the expansion. One based in specials is unaffordable. Unless 10k game you can combine carefully.
- Late move to enemy's countries up to 5 units. In case you get the countries, you will cut the cash flow but yet you should cap other countries for reinf, do not forget to wallfuck.

Defending considerations

- As explained doing a whole rush might result in a suicide so it's advisable to keep some units back to establish dominance around your own capital. It all depends and based on the plan and team. Never forget how things are going around your cities.
- In case of a rush, try to spam walls or some tbs to slow down enemy while you keep expanding to neutrals if possible and late defending main cities.
- Important cities with high reinf / income / specials should be considered to get walled as strategic cities. You must always be a step ahead from your enemy.

Additional considerations [RaulPB]

* Some players would not recommend the usage of carriage on t1. Only recommend building transport ships when you have a clear and specific strategy in mind which can't work without that one transport ship, like when you plan a rush.
Don't just aim for the richer countries for your first turn expansion. Aim for a plan!
• If you plan on cutting your enemy's expansion, go aggressive into his land.
• If you plan on invading some land separated by sea, go for more than one port.
• If you plan on going defensive, go for the strategic ports or cities that could potentially become a threat to your cap. If you have spare money, go for them cities with special units.

- GENERAL GAME TIPS

Most of the current tips could be applied for team games, no matter if scenario or presets. I have been collecting after playing eu+ & Kt's West ancient map, checking forum and there must be some more.

• Communication within team - very important at any team game.
• Use 1st min to close a strat with team, avoid last min refresh and rush.
• Have a plan!
• Mind the order of your movements!
• When setting a strategy, it's usually useful to take aim at one specific enemy and crush him early on between 2 players. [RaulPB]
• Wall cities / Wallfuck enemy cities (wf) / Break walls
• Latemove att / def
• Turnblocks (Tbs)
• Priorize harbors [Dr. Known]
• Port cities are important, use them if match the plan whether attack or defending.
• Do not go blindly into random cities just because they have a port. [RaulPB]
• Try to predict enemies' movements
• Slow if winning / Rush if losing
• Check battle chart! - guess enemy's strat
• Expand to high income countries [Dr. Known]
• Troops attack -> Collateral damage -> Population -> Income / Reinforcement. Though not great impact in this map [★clovis1122]
• Take advantage of your enemies' errors.
• Use the shortcuts in the map, explore them.
• Rep - It's great to find you were recognized after a game. So, practice this too and encourage others to do it to keep mood up.
• There are always bad days, where you won't win a single game or few SP, don't stress out. Just practice and better days will come.
• Players are always free to pick in the map but while a team game they should do wisely to avoid 2v1 along the game. Ask for some advice if you are wondering about the pick.
• Practice 1v1, even its hard at the beginning will result useful for coming games.
• In 1v1 games, it's highly recommended to pick around Mediterranean and have a port as cap [Dr. Known]

About latemoving

This involves your stack movement (att / def) into a city, after your enemy's movement. So, in this case you will not turnblock the movement but attack after the city was left empty. Same explanation applies to defending, gathering troops in a city you consider will be under attack.

Additional tips [RaulPB]

Do not rush like a stupid goat only cause you're losing. It's far more intelligent to analyse the situation and consider late moving or walling as a defensive strategy.
It's cool to have a high-income country in your hands but do not do it blindly. Those usually are well defended and might not be in line with your main objective. They can make you lose sight of your strategy and they can make you waste units.
Check enemy movements and priorities during the battle phase, not only what units he uses. Check for any pattern in his movements.
Do not only play games, but also watch others play theirs. Learn from everyone's mistakes, not just yours.

PS - Rather better to lose an enemy's cap or some cities than a team member. Eventually the more mates at the game the more sp you will get as a team. Besides, you never know when or how helpful can be, even in future games.

- PREMIUM / NON-PREM

After playing Ancient with premium, once expired I was shocked. I am still adapting to this new reality without gen. This is an important situation to consider while gen will give at least +1 att/+1 def to all units in stack but even further benefits.
Premium gives more chances for t1 expansion and liberty to move along the map. That's why non-prem members should mind those prem t1 expansions or secure their t1.

So Non-prem, keep in mind you should play more smartly and I wouldn't recommend to rush, (gen= higher danger) so slow roll to secondary cities or unprotected, cut the cash flow, make them feel the pressure.
In case you want to rush, feel free to do it but with high chances of accomplishment, or ask for mates' help. Don't tell I didn't warn you.

I have to mention that another surprise was that after these 2 months playing and learning moving gen, I realized non-prem just have access to the Ancient collection maps by unlocking for 100 PCs.

- CREDITS

Thanks to all of you who have contributed to this guide. Specially the last revision prior to publish. Among them RaulPB for his important contribution (counterpicks, strats, expansion & general tips), Wear for his ideas and of course to Dr. Known without his help and support this could not have been realised.

• Ancient guide Idea....................................... Dr. Known
  • Based on guides ……………….…….……… Emperor Alois, RaulPB
  • Analysis …………………………….…………. SergBao, RaulPB
  • Screenshots …………………………...….….. Dr. Known, SergBao
  • Comment contributors ………………...…….. Dr. Known, RaulPB, ★clovis1122
  • Guide Collaboration…..…………………...…..Wear, Captain Rider, Mungosss, Cimpro, mann, Rasp, bosnjak9, JUGERS2, Grim_Reaper
  • Content Review……………………………….. RaulPB, Wear, Dr. Known, Captain Rider
  • Contributors to my Premium race.…..…...….750 PCs left to Goal

- FINAL CONSIDERATIONS

This guide is open to new content or ideas and will grow with your comments. So, in case you want to contribute to develop it just post your comment below. Interesting content will be added up with your name […].

Currently I am in a Premium lifetime subscription race. If any of you want to contribute, I will be very pleased (and send a private message thanking for your generosity). You can comment and write down how many PCs are you willing to donate. Though I appreciate the effort, I was directed no less than 100- 150 PCs. I will deduct the PC I earn by playing.
To those clans, that would consider to include this guide to their own private library I would like to at least get some contact in advance.

This is an open document for everyone to support the game development. Let's revive ancient scene and of course have fun.

- Fortuna audaces iuvat -
29.08.2020 - 03:27
 Same
I'll donate 1k PC to you, just get an admin to do it. Good luck on getting lifetime prem. Nice guide btw
----
Ashes to Ashes, Dust to Dust!
29.08.2020 - 03:33
1st, you should have added an Income/Reinforcements rate as well.

2nd, mentioning Baby as a viable pick is enraging enough. But not adding Arabia, Meso nor Ma'in is so dissapointing.

3rd, In the section of counterpicks:
- Vikings - Britannia Superior: Vikings are superior due to their special unit being slightly stronger. Not entirely recommended.
- Central Gaul - Hispania / Germania Superior: No. The real counter for Gaul is either Campania, Thapsus or Vikings. Hispania and Germania are kinda even with Gaul.
- Pontus - Rodhos / Maeotis / Tribus Slavs. NO. Only Rhodos is a worthy opponent from these ones. Nor Maeotis or Tribus Slavs are good enough for anything. Syria, Meso, Sparta or Mace are worthy mentions.
----
Don't ever look down on someone unless you're helping him up. Don't ever treat someone else the way you wouldn't want others to treat you.
We're all people.

29.08.2020 - 06:19
Written by Same, 29.08.2020 at 03:27

I'll donate 1k PC to you, just get an admin to do it. Good luck on getting lifetime prem. Nice guide btw

Thanks a lot Same, it really matters that a pro player considers it Muchas gracias for your contribution it helps a lot!!!

Its done in the analysis just not included, and more screenshoots to do, if high demand, its possible to include.
Lol, we talked about, those countries with * in the 10k was to show are not the allmighty and there are better picks. I notice your anger about Ma'in and Arabia, but as you can see both are included
"Upper Egypt - Ma'in / Middle Egypt / Arabia
Note - Numidia, could would as counterpick for Hispania or Carthago, and Mesopotamia for Syria and Arabia."

- Vikings - are slighty better thats right but still can be faced with Brit
- Central Gaul - As counter pick for Campania??? no no way, i was showing countries with similar characteristics. Gaul vs Camp/ Thapsus or Vikings are too unbalanced.
- As explained im refering to similar possibilities picks to balance and counterpick the countries themselves
29.08.2020 - 10:02
Written by SergBao, 29.08.2020 at 06:19

Its done in the analysis just not included, and more screenshoots to do, if high demand, its possible to include.
Lol, we talked about, those countries with * in the 10k was to show are not the allmighty and there are better picks. I notice your anger about Ma'in and Arabia, but as you can see both are included
"Upper Egypt - Ma'in / Middle Egypt / Arabia
Note - Numidia, could would as counterpick for Hispania or Carthago, and Mesopotamia for Syria and Arabia."

- Vikings - are slighty better thats right but still can be faced with Brit
- Central Gaul - As counter pick for Campania??? no no way, i was showing countries with similar characteristics. Gaul vs Camp/ Thapsus or Vikings are too unbalanced.
- As explained im refering to similar possibilities picks to balance and counterpick the countries themselves

Counterpicks are meant to counter, not to balance (at least, from my perspective). I'd never recomend picking Britannia in spite of Gaul or Germania anyway, cause of the need of Britannia to build at least one transport ship in order to do anything at all.

You mention Ma'in, Arabia and Middle egypt as if they were only viable as counterpicks. Wrong. Numidia or Mesopotamia however can be considered as counterpicks tho. Just don't overcomplicate things too much by adding Baby, Latium or Carth in the list as if they were viable... mention them in another separate chapter as to why they shouldn't be picked.
----
Don't ever look down on someone unless you're helping him up. Don't ever treat someone else the way you wouldn't want others to treat you.
We're all people.

30.08.2020 - 14:41
----
atWar

About Us
Contact

Privacy | Terms of service | Banners | Partners

Copyright © 2024 atWar. All rights reserved.

Join us on

Spread the word