Get Premium to hide all ads

Original post

Posted by Hugosch, 14.01.2013 - 09:17
As said, i will start a the 4th AW 1v1 tournament in a while (i'm waiting until the current 2v2 or has some more progress). The setup will be different then previous tournaments, and i will present them here. This topic is to critisise and give other alternatives for the 1v1 tourney settings. Its good to keep in mind that this is a 1v1 tourney. So more then 2 players in 1 map will not happen, someone needs to create a other tournament for this.

The system of 2times knock-out will stay as it is, and people will get randomly drawn against each other. The difference are in the settings, as it will be a 'best of 3' match. In the first match, Player A can host the game, play on his chosen map and with his settings. In the second match, Player B will be the host and he can do the same. Some settings are fixed, others can be changed by the host of the game.

The settings to choose from:
Map(s): Europe, Europe+, Eurasia, Asia, Africa, North America, South America. (I can add some maps here, if its balanced and not too big (so no whole world). Also i can add custom maps, but i need to see/check them first. Post below if you want to add maps to the tourney
Funds: Between 3K and 15K
Turn duration: Minimum 2mins, maximum 4mins (I could add 1min too, but i think thats risky because of possible disconnects)
+100 cities: On or Off
Initial countries: Minimum 1, maximum 3

Fixed settings (non-changable):
Rares: None
Game duration: 50turns
Victory condition: Capture player capital and hold for at least 2 turns

Once both games are played, and the score is 1-1, there will be a final match in which de winner is decided. This will be on the Europe+ map, with different settings depending on the round we are in. For example: Getting a 1-1 score in the first round, will give you Europe+, 2mins, 5k. Getting a 1-1 score in the second round against a new opponent, will give you Europe+, 4mins, 15k. This will all be random for each round, but will be made public before the tournament starts.

With this idea, everyone could train on his own map, tactic and strategy. The game will become more allround and i also think we can see more suprising score's, as lower ranks might have a good chance on other maps.
16.02.2013 - 06:55
Written by Guest, 16.02.2013 at 02:23

Written by b0nker2, 15.01.2013 at 19:47

Seedings

I think the seeding system in the tournament last time needs to be looked at, yes you do want the more able players in the latter stages of course, but they shouldn't be given more of a chance with easier draws etc. If it is going to be double elimination why shouldn't say a rank 10 be drawn against a rank 10 round 1? Surley with DE then they will still progress just in the lower half of the table if they are really skilled.

Maps

It seems that Euro+ seems to be the choice everyone is making here. Personally I would like to see greater variety in the tournament, not to say euro+ is not a great map it is, but you have to widen it out.

Mbuto's concern was that games would have crazy maps and that people will feel uncomfortable playing them. The first point I agree, there is no point playing maps that are too big or too uneven etc. The second point about being uncomfortable in a new map actually imo will separate the players that are skilled all round rather than those that just know Euro+ inside out.

I like the idea of each opponent choosing their map in a bo3, however I think we need to be realistic about the map choice. For example they can choose from a list of selected maps, Middle East, Euro++, Euro, Euro+, North America, Mediterranean would all be appropriate in my eyes. And the settings should also be their choice.

If there is a third match then the last game should be played on Euro+ 10k 4 mins, which is the most commonly used settings atm.

This is also what i think.

Yes. His theory is correct.
02.03.2013 - 11:57
Make a competitive custom map based on Europe+.
05.03.2013 - 04:18
 VRIL
A tournament scheduled on 2 days. All the matches have to be played in only 2 days.
So you dont have a week or more of break in between your matches. After finishing one game you just play
the next game with your next opponent

After 6 hours there will be a break and the tournament continues on the next day.
07.03.2013 - 05:32
I've been thinking about that too VRIL. The problem is timezones. I can't ask players to play from 23.00 to 05.00 at night. I can ask them to schedule a match within a week though.
----
Exceptional claims demand exceptional evidence.
07.03.2013 - 05:55
 VRIL
CET and EST are no problem to match:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingtime.html?iso=20130503&p1=16&p2=179

18.00 to 0.00 CET is 12.00 to 18.00 EST - jut perfect for a little tournament imo

and there could be a seperate qualifier for middle eastern and asian participants

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingtime.html?iso=20130503&p1=214&p2=236
08.03.2013 - 16:25
Make the tournament's first 3 or 4 rounds have a completion duration of a week. Ex: Rounds 1-4 must be played from the 17th to the 24th. Meaning players better be sure they are available for that week before joining the tournament. If one player doesn't show signs of trying to set up a match or isn't online on those days, a simple SS of the other opponent who was there, and is opponent wasn't, disqualifies the other player and moves him to next round.
----
Don't trust the manipulative rabbit.
atWar

About Us
Contact

Privacy | Terms of service | Banners | Partners

Copyright © 2024 atWar. All rights reserved.

Join us on

Spread the word