Get Premium to hide all ads

Original post

Posted by tophat, 02.06.2013 - 14:32
There are still some strategies that need boosts. However, progress has been made, significant progress actually. Relentless attack is much more useful (still needs a slight boost) , naval commander is now very balanced. But some other strategies are in need to be boosted. Here are the boosts that need to be implemented:

Boosts

Relentless Attack:

In the description it says exactly this: "Powerful main attack units at the cost of weaker defence units." So why are infantries' attack reduced to 3? It goes against the description.

Boost: +1 attack to infantry. (making it 4)

Blitzkrieg:

The weakest strategy, literally. Mainly because of its atrocious defense.

Boost: Make it -1 defense to all units, not -2.

Some will say that it should receive an offensive boost, because it is in fact, "lightning attack". However, I disagree, -2 defense to all units is just unplayable. Even -1 defense to all units is bad, but let's at least start there and see what needs to be improved or reduced later.

Boosts/Nerfs

Master of Stealth:

Some will say it is one of the strongest World map strategies. Yes, it is. But, in Europe+ games such as 3v3s or 1v1s, and even Eurasia games, MOS is too mediocre. Despite it being decent all around, there's always at least one strategy that is better to choose than MOS in every possible scenario.

Boost: -10 cost to marines. (making them 110 cost)

In this case, the boost overpowers the nerf, which is what we want, MOS needs to be stronger in Europe. I've never seen anyone use it Europe+ games, literally. It's not a huge boost but I think we should at least start here and see what we can adjust later on.

Great Combinator:

GC was nerfed for being overpowered a while back. Currently, tanks are 9 attack and 1 defense and infantry are 1 attack and 7 defense.

Boost/nerf: -10 cost to tanks

re-implement the +1 HP, except let's make tanks 8 attack and 1 defense. Additionally, let's make infantry 1 attack and 6 defense with +1 HP.

Here, we are removing an attack from the tank and a defense from the infantry, except adding the +1 HP back again. Attack and hit points are about the same worth, (ish) but the HP will be a more significant boost because the act of combining will be much stronger. Essentially, I'm cutting in the middle of both GC statuses. It was op before, now it is underpowered. My suggestion for GC will make it stronger than it is now, but also weaker than it was before. Agree?

Nerfs

Perfect Defense:

Undetermined
05.06.2013 - 14:45
Written by Meester, 05.06.2013 at 00:26

Yes don't nerf PD. It might be good for Europe+ but not in world games. You try getting 100 infantry to Europe from America.

I disagree, pd is simply not a world game strategy, nerfing it will barely harm this. However, along with the current nerf, I could add a boost to naval transports. (like HP or defense etc) to balance it world games.

PD is too popular to simply say "that if we boost other strategies it'll settle" It won't, we need a slight nerf.
----
Don't trust the manipulative rabbit.
05.06.2013 - 15:35
Written by tophat, 05.06.2013 at 14:45

Written by Meester, 05.06.2013 at 00:26

Yes don't nerf PD. It might be good for Europe+ but not in world games. You try getting 100 infantry to Europe from America.

I disagree, pd is simply not a world game strategy, nerfing it will barely harm this. However, along with the current nerf, I could add a boost to naval transports. (like HP or defense etc) to balance it world games.

PD is too popular to simply say "that if we boost other strategies it'll settle" It won't, we need a slight nerf.

Well, I disagree, because I use PD for world games. PD is fine as is, because the infantry is balanced, it already has a -1 mov and the attack sucks.

People should stop suggesting nerfing popular strategies when they are not OP. You shouldn't customize all the strategies for small 3v3 games, because that is a minority of games. The majority are scenarios and medium/big maps.
05.06.2013 - 16:14
 Desu
Written by SuperiorCacaocow, 05.06.2013 at 15:36

i played mos very much and i can say, that i never bought militia but i need infantry for expand in the early game

Yeah, I explained it earlier but Tophats glossed over it and never replied to it, only about the GC part.

This;
Written by Desu, 04.06.2013 at 13:40

I don't believe Master of Stealth needs a huge change to its stats. It really is balanced as it is, if slightly underpowered in a competitive setting. Before you had +1 atk/def for marines on there, and now I see it has changed to -1 attack to inf and -20 cost to militia thinking this would help bring it forth. I disagree. -1 attack to the infantry is not a smart idea, when you join a game you are automatically given infantry no matter what. And if you're short on cash, at any point in the game, you need infantry to expand.

MoS doesn't need a huge movement of stats. Just add something small that allows it to be more manageable and be done with it.

OT: I agree that strategies need buffs rather than nerfs. I would also agree with a slight PD nerf as it effects competitive 1vs1/3vs3 games. But on a bigger setting we should just buff and test the weaker strategies. Basically I don't mind if PD is nerfed or not, as long as we can bring others to light.
05.06.2013 - 16:35

I don't believe Master of Stealth needs a huge change to its stats. It really is balanced as it is, if slightly underpowered in a competitive setting. Before you had +1 atk/def for marines on there, and now I see it has changed to -1 attack to inf and -20 cost to militia thinking this would help bring it forth. I disagree. -1 attack to the infantry is not a smart idea, when you join a game you are automatically given infantry no matter what. And if you're short on cash, at any point in the game, you need infantry to expand.

Keeping MoS as it is wouldn't be that bad. If others fully agree that it needs a change, instead of a massive change, why not just give -10 cost to its militia(not -20, and with no nerf), and be done with it? Changing the militia would indeed bring it closer to GW, but it doesn't have a defence or range boost so this would not change it too much closer to GW/PD, but just make it slightly more manageable.

That or give it -10 cost to infantry and make infantry critical chance 0 as the nerf. But I still support not changing it a lot. A slight cost reduction somewhere would help it though.

sorry for glossing over i was focused too much on gc.

I agree with you for the infantry part; they will not be nerfed. I wouldn't mess with the critical hits however, so for now it should stick with a slight cost reduction like you said.

-10 militia cost for now.
----
05.06.2013 - 18:08
Written by tophat, 05.06.2013 at 16:35

Keeping MoS as it is wouldn't be that bad. If others fully agree that it needs a change, instead of a massive change, why not just give -10 cost to its militia(not -20, and with no nerf), and be done with it? Changing the militia would indeed bring it closer to GW, but it doesn't have a defence or range boost so this would not change it too much closer to GW/PD, but just make it slightly more manageable.

That or give it -10 cost to infantry and make infantry critical chance 0 as the nerf. But I still support not changing it a lot. A slight cost reduction somewhere would help it though.

sorry for glossing over i was focused too much on gc.

I agree with you for the infantry part; they will not be nerfed. I wouldn't mess with the critical hits however, so for now it should stick with a slight cost reduction like you said.

-10 militia cost for now.

I don't see how that would affect anything. Who uses milita as MoS anyways? I hope you don't aim for the upkeep, lol. If you want to make MoS suitable for Europe you can only do so by reducing the cost of marines. MoS can't expand reasonably because it's crippled by it's high cost early game.
Everything else won't work in my opinion, try to work around it as you may. Since such a change would be too drastic though, I can't really see a way to make it suitable for Europe. -10 to milita cost certainly isn't one. Keep it as it is, there's no need for such an alibi move.
05.06.2013 - 19:18
Written by learster, 05.06.2013 at 18:08

I don't see how that would affect anything. Who uses milita as MoS anyways? I hope you don't aim for the upkeep, lol. If you want to make MoS suitable for Europe you can only do so by reducing the cost of marines. MoS can't expand reasonably because it's crippled by it's high cost early game.
Everything else won't work in my opinion, try to work around it as you may. Since such a change would be too drastic though, I can't really see a way to make it suitable for Europe. -10 to milita cost certainly isn't one. Keep it as it is, there's no need for such an alibi move.

I don't see how it would be useless, it would be a great alternative for defense, a more expendable one at that. And it's not at all permanent, it's only temporary. You do bring up a good point that mos is weak early because of it's high cost.

I wouldn't consider this an alibi move, mos is more or less the most mediocre strategy in the game. I don't mean this as a good thing. I mean it is out-classed in virtually all fields of play. Not counting continental warfare that is.

Lowering the cost of marines could help this. I prefer a -10 cost for marines then to militia, actually. Anyone else agree?
----
06.06.2013 - 05:26
Guest33072
Account deleted
Written by tophat, 05.06.2013 at 19:18

Written by learster, 05.06.2013 at 18:08

I don't see how it would be useless, it would be a great alternative for defense, a more expendable one at that. And it's not at all permanent, it's only temporary. You do bring up a good point that mos is weak early because of it's high cost.

I wouldn't consider this an alibi move, mos is more or less the most mediocre strategy in the game. I don't mean this as a good thing. I mean it is out-classed in virtually all fields of play. Not counting continental warfare that is.

Lowering the cost of marines could help this. I prefer a -10 cost for marines then to militia, actually. Anyone else agree?

whats with -1 attack but +1hp for inf? so ukraine mos would be playable (against a rushing turkey)

and for blitz: reduce the range to +2 for -1 def and the bonus "ignore all def bonus"
06.06.2013 - 08:24
I don't know why you guys don't want to change PD it is strong in all the maps Asia, Europe, and America even in world games it is not the best for it but you can take Europe then start making all what you want because you will be rich, PD don't work with 25k and 50k maps but this games are not the best and only few players (low ranks) play with it and some high ranks maybe for farming SP and all what top saying is +10 for militia and -1 bonus for defending because 9 defend for each infantry that is a lot it is same as tank attack that cost 110 in RA (that is good with tanks only) and don't forget if tanks attacking the defence is 10 and if you have a general it make it 10, 11 on tanks.

And I hope they will change RA and TG is a better name than RA because they made the infantry and militia very weak and expensive so TG is a better name because you only use tanks, and adding +1 HP for tanks or -10 Cost is a lot better from +1 attack to infantry, making an infantry cost 80 with 4 attack it is not a good to make TG better, giving tanks +1 HP or -10 Cost will make them strong, but why not they are very weak now, and this change wont make it the best strategy, just a little more stronger.

Blitzkrieg, I don't think i have the best idea for it but what about giving the units defence back and take 1 HP, blitz with -2 defence very weak and -1 HP is more important than defence because it take the HP from the attack and defend and look to IF slow and more HP, blitz fast and low HP what do you guys think ?
06.06.2013 - 10:19
Guest88485
Account deleted
Written by Commander, 06.06.2013 at 08:24

And I hope they will change RA and TG is a better name than RA because they made the infantry and militia very weak and expensive so TG is a better name because you only use tanks, and adding +1 HP for tanks or -10 Cost is a lot better from +1 attack to infantry, making an infantry cost 80 with 4 attack it is not a good to make TG better, giving tanks +1 HP or -10 Cost will make them strong, but why not they are very weak now, and this change wont make it the best strategy, just a little more stronger.

Blitzkrieg, I don't think i have the best idea for it but what about giving the units defence back and take 1 HP, blitz with -2 defence very weak and -1 HP is more important than defence because it take the HP from the attack and defend and look to IF slow and more HP, blitz fast and low HP what do you guys think ?

if you add +1HP to the RA, it will be op. [GC was " op" with +1 hp and the tank was weaker than the RA tank]
if you remove -1 hp of blitz you kill the strategy.
06.06.2013 - 10:32
Written by Guest, 06.06.2013 at 10:19

if you add +1HP to the RA, it will be op. [GC was " op" with +1 hp and the tank was weaker than the RA tank]
if you remove -1 hp of blitz you kill the strategy.

GC you can use your infantry in defending RA you have nothing to defend, infantry -1 bonus -1 defence and +10 cost, using them is not a good idea, in GC +1 defence without taking the bonus, that why GC was OP you attack with strong units and defend with strong units with, +1 HP to RA tanks you will make an OP tanks strong attack but very weak defence, so it wont be like GC, and in RA you cant stop a rush without losing a very big army so it will be OK not OP and you can look the other option -10 cost to tanks, tank that cost 100, it is nice and it still wont make it OP because like what i said no defence so you must get a strong attacking units.

blitz it is already bad -1 HP better than -2 defence at least -HP will make you need more units and blitz is good in sending from all the far places like from Russia to Ukraine without using air transport so it wont be killed, you just need more numbers.
06.06.2013 - 14:59

I don't see how it would be useless, it would be a great alternative for defense, a more expendable one at that

Again, how would you defend with mos militia? You don't have any extra defense on them, nor the extra movement range. It's a waste of reinforcements, really.
06.06.2013 - 16:56

I don't know why you guys don't want to change PD it is strong in all the maps Asia, Europe, and America even in world games it is not the best for it but you can take Europe then start making all what you want because you will be rich, PD don't work with 25k and 50k maps but this games are not the best and only few players (low ranks) play with it and some high ranks maybe for farming SP and all what top saying is +10 for militia and -1 bonus for defending because 9 defend for each infantry that is a lot it is same as tank attack that cost 110 in RA (that is good with tanks only) and don't forget if tanks attacking the defence is 10 and if you have a general it make it 10, 11 on tanks.

agreed.

Yes TG is a more descriptive name.

4 attack to infantry will make significant difference for first turn expansion and general stack. RA is already decent, we don't want to boost it too much yet.

Blitz will remain as I put it as. (-1 defence to all units instead of -2)
----
06.06.2013 - 16:58
Written by learster, 06.06.2013 at 14:59

I don't see how it would be useless, it would be a great alternative for defense, a more expendable one at that

Again, how would you defend with mos militia? You don't have any extra defense on them, nor the extra movement range. It's a waste of reinforcements, really.

Yeah, you're right, in most cases would be useless to buy militias.

I'm still waiting for more to support your +1 attack on marines. I promise, I'll try my best to satisfy.
----
08.06.2013 - 10:44
Written by tophat, 06.06.2013 at 16:58

I'm still waiting for more to support your +1 attack on marines. I promise, I'll try my best to satisfy.

I never suggested anything like that. You suggested to lower their price by 10, but that's it then.
08.06.2013 - 12:39
Written by learster, 08.06.2013 at 10:44

Written by tophat, 06.06.2013 at 16:58

I never suggested anything like that. You suggested to lower their price by 10, but that's it then.

lol fuck, sorry i was reading desu's thing.

yeah -10 to marine cost is what I mean. I'll add it now, since it is better than the -10 to militia boost. But still anything can change, if others decide to support something different.
----
08.06.2013 - 12:47
PD Change.

After several who disagreed, and brought up good arguments, here is the change I will make.

1) I will keep militia at 20 cost, as it is now.

2) The +1 defense boost for infantry whilst in cities will remain. (instead of the current +2)

3) And for making PD better in world games, (it's still very good in world games anyways, but transporting large amounts of infantry to other continents, i know, is very difficult)

> naval transports: 8 defense instead of 2. (so if you're transporting lets say 120 infantry. you'll be needing 8 transports which is 64 defense. but ofc, a smart player would also bring bombers.)

Also, it is in fact "perfect defense", so adding defense to transports obeys the description and the meaning of pd.
----
08.06.2013 - 18:19
Mixing together other's and my own suggestions:

RA
+1 attack to INF (making their attack 4)
and increased milita movement

GC
-5 cost for both Tanks and Inf (keeping with the combination theme)

PD
reduce movement of milita

Blitz
+1 defense (so only -1)

MoS
I don't know. Increase movement range of stealth by even one more
----
He always runs while others walk. He acts while other men just talk. He looks at this world and wants it all. So he strikes like Thunderball.
09.06.2013 - 04:20
Making RA with + range to militia is a nice idea but give it +1 attack or - 10 cost so we can use militia for numbers and to take close natural countries without spending 220 to take a natural country that have 2 militia.
11.06.2013 - 15:19
Written by tophat, 02.06.2013 at 14:32
The following suggestion will not serve to make PD unplayable, but to make it so that we don't have 3v3s where EVERYONE IS PD.

Part of PD's popularity is due to the available countries for on the 3 v 3 map. England/Germany/France/Italy are almost always PD. Turkey is almost always IMP. Spain can play PD and so can Ukraine, but they are the only one's with the flexibility to support other strats.

I don't see a PD nerf changing this :/ (Not to say that it shouldn't be nerfed.)

The way to get more diversity would be to boost IF and Blitz or make the starting $$ amount 5k?
----
He always runs while others walk. He acts while other men just talk. He looks at this world and wants it all. So he strikes like Thunderball.
12.06.2013 - 10:47
 Soul
I really want us to bring under-powered strats up to par before we even begin talking about making changes to PD, changes to too many strats at once will probably just lead to even more dis-balance. Forget PD and MoS for a moment guys I want GC,RA,and Blitz to be fixed, I think that's more important.
----
Written by Amok, 12.03.2012 at 07:05

Why? It's much easier with the popup thingie buttons...

Written by Amok, 15.05.2013 at 06:51

Wow man, you're so wrong, I don't even know where to begin with
12.06.2013 - 11:46
Written by Thunderballs, 11.06.2013 at 15:19

The following suggestion will not serve to make PD unplayable, but to make it so that we don't have 3v3s where EVERYONE IS PD.

Part of PD's popularity is due to the available countries for on the 3 v 3 map. England/Germany/France/Italy are almost always PD. Turkey is almost always IMP. Spain can play PD and so can Ukraine, but they are the only one's with the flexibility to support other strats.

I don't see a PD nerf changing this :/ (Not to say that it shouldn't be nerfed.)

The way to get more diversity would be to boost IF and Blitz or make the starting $$ amount 5k?

true story
----
"War is nothing but a continuation of politics with the admixture of other means."
― Carl von Clausewitz
18.06.2013 - 14:26
Bumping for admins.
----
18.06.2013 - 15:17
 Desu
Perfect Defense:
Boost: Naval transports get 8 defense instead of 2.

This doesn't work. You cannot raise the defence of transports for basically every strategy on atWar. Both air transports and transports are 2 defence for a reason.

If you raise it to 8, that means that in a city, a transport will defend before everything else besides infantry. Outside a city, transports that are docked on land(and if left, should normally have the units inside it protecting it) would defend first before all the land units. Even if you said make it 6 instead of 8, transports would defend before militia, tanks, and marines. In fact, anything higher than the current set 2 defence breaks it. You need to add something that doesn't change the defending priorities. Like adding HP or Critical chance. But both of these mean that the transport would have higher attacking power as well, so none of the changes to the transport are viable for Perfect Defence.

I would agree to a PD nerf, but I would much rather bringing other underpowered strategies up to par. So as long as we can empower the other strategies, PD should be fine as it is.
18.06.2013 - 15:27
Written by Desu, 18.06.2013 at 15:17

Perfect Defense:
Boost: Naval transports get 8 defense instead of 2.

This doesn't work. You cannot raise the defence of transports for basically every strategy on atWar. Both air transports and transports are 2 defence for a reason.

If you raise it to 8, that means that in a city, a transport will defend before everything else besides infantry. Outside a city, transports that are docked on land(and if left, should normally have the units inside it protecting it) would defend first before all the land units. Even if you said make it 6 instead of 8, transports would defend before militia, tanks, and marines. In fact, anything higher than the current set 2 defence breaks it. You need to add something that doesn't change the defending priorities. Like adding HP or Critical chance. But both of these mean that the transport would have higher attacking power as well, so none of the changes to the transport are viable for Perfect Defence.

I would agree to a PD nerf, but I would much rather bringing other underpowered strategies up to par. So as long as we can empower the other strategies, PD should be fine as it is.

ahah wow I'm a noob. But thanks for clarifying.

I disagree a slight nerf won't hurt. and also, what about boosting transport HP? Like +3hp or something?
----
18.06.2013 - 16:25
 Desu
Written by tophat, 18.06.2013 at 15:27

I disagree a slight nerf won't hurt. and also, what about boosting transport HP? Like +3hp or something?

Like adding HP or Critical chance. But both of these mean that the transport would have higher attacking power as well, so none of the changes to the transport are viable for Perfect Defence.

I have already said the reason. I didn't feel like mixing the strategies.

You could go around with 1 militia and a transport capping 1 militia coastal cities. With +3hp I already do that with Iron Fist. A transport with the "safer transportation" upgrade and +3hp from a strategy(currently IF) basically counts as a whole militia/infantry by itself in attack power.

The suggestions throughout the thread for PD and MoS have been unconventional(a good thing), but flawed. We should just cement the agreed changes to RA, Blitz, and GC and hope the administrators are able to agree with them.
18.06.2013 - 16:57
Written by Desu, 18.06.2013 at 16:25

Written by tophat, 18.06.2013 at 15:27

Like adding HP or Critical chance. But both of these mean that the transport would have higher attacking power as well, so none of the changes to the transport are viable for Perfect Defence.

I have already said the reason. I didn't feel like mixing the strategies.

You could go around with 1 militia and a transport capping 1 militia coastal cities. With +3hp I already do that with Iron Fist. A transport with the "safer transportation" upgrade and +3hp from a strategy(currently IF) basically counts as a whole militia/infantry by itself in attack power.

The suggestions throughout the thread for PD and MoS have been unconventional(a good thing), but flawed. We should just cement the agreed changes to RA, Blitz, and GC and hope the administrators are able to agree with them.

Alright, fair point. I'll edit saying "undetermined".
----
19.06.2013 - 10:56
Written by clovis1122, 19.06.2013 at 09:54

Relentless Attack:

In the description it says exactly this: "Powerful main attack units at the cost of weaker defence units." So why are infantries' attack reduced to 3? It goes against the description.

The strategy goes against the description by itself. the first thing I tryed to buy went the merge was DESTROYER (Main attack [NAVAL] unit ) and BOMBERS ( Main attack [AIR] unit) also in the upgrade it said thad strategys like RA thad only affect one generic unit, now will be for more units. This tricked me a lot ;_;. eitle boost destroyer and bombers or specific in the description: "Powerful main attack [LAND] units at the cost of weaker defence units."

Weaker defence unit is mean to nerf infantry, militia and others defensives unit, not to nerf the defense or all unit. ^_^ thad is winth the description yes, since infantry and militia are defensive unit, so they are weak. if it was your point them they should nerf bombers and others unit winth -1 def O_O

In this case I would like for the description to be modified not the actual strategy.
----
19.06.2013 - 11:51
Written by clovis1122, 19.06.2013 at 11:35

Written by tophat, 19.06.2013 at 10:56

Written by clovis1122, 19.06.2013 at 09:54

Relentless Attack:

The strategy goes against the description by itself. the first thing I tryed to buy went the merge was DESTROYER (Main attack [NAVAL] unit ) and BOMBERS ( Main attack [AIR] unit) also in the upgrade it said thad strategys like RA thad only affect one generic unit, now will be for more units. This tricked me a lot ;_;. eitle boost destroyer and bombers or specific in the description: "Powerful main attack [LAND] units at the cost of weaker defence units."

Weaker defence unit is mean to nerf infantry, militia and others defensives unit, not to nerf the defense or all unit. ^_^ thad is winth the description yes, since infantry and militia are defensive unit, so they are weak. if it was your point them they should nerf bombers and others unit winth -1 def O_O

In this case I would like for the description to be modified not the actual strategy.

but is unfail, GC have inf and tanks, LB/IF/None have all unit, NC have subs and destroyer, PD have inf and militia, Mos have stealt sub and marines, GW have militia and marines, HW have some unit as well, but what RA have? tanks! tanks! tanks!. I support they to boost bombers and destroyer, rathery thad leave the tank alone as the description said ,_,

Meh, I like a strategy that focuses on one unit, because RA is the only one. I agree that in comparison to other strategies it doesn't have as much variety, but I like it as it is now. And plus, it only needs one boost (the one suggested) and it'll be balanced. Adding new dynamics to it will just complicate things.

You could create a strategy and make a thread about it if you'd like.
----
28.06.2013 - 20:38
Alright, hello everyone.

After many suggestions and some very good discussions I've decided to leave the boosts I've given to Relentless Attack, Blitzkrieg and Great Combinator. So far, everyone has either agreed or proposed other ideas that were considered but rejected. However no one has denied that these three strategies, indeed need boosts. And the ones I've indicated have been approved by other top players whom have great knowledge of the game and in the balancement of strategies. (Desu especially)

As for MOS, I've decided to keep the -10 cost to marines as a minor boost for now. Nothing big, but significant enough to make MOS a little more viable in small map games such as europe+, the most popular map.

Lastly, I've decided to not make any changes to PD after several have brought up their opinion in the thread. And since, a majority wants to keep pd as it is, I have to agree with them that boosting other strategies should be the first step to balancing the strategies and the game.

I've now sent a pm to both Ivan and Amok who will hopefully implement these suggestions that are needed to improve the gameplay as well as the competitiveness of the AW.
----
28.06.2013 - 23:39
Guest5021
Account deleted
TopHats you saved blitzkrieg
atWar

About Us
Contact

Privacy | Terms of service | Banners | Partners

Copyright © 2024 atWar. All rights reserved.

Join us on

Spread the word