Get Premium to hide all ads
31.07.2013 - 17:26

- A Deeper Look into U.N Games -

A Ton of Fun!

Hello guys, lets start of with a short, if somewhat self indulgent celebration of our clan; Stalins Martians' Achievement of being the First clan to reach 100 competitive games, Clan Wars. In the meantime, we have already reached 147 cw's!

It has been a long and hard road for SM. A lot of clans have come and gone in the time we have been around. I would personally like to thank everyone who has ever been a member of this little community within the community of AW! And also to our opponents from all the games! Here for your enjoyment are a few random facts about our clan wars!

• Win/loss ratio - 86 : 61
  • Longest Winning Streak - 9 clan wars
  • Longest Losing Steak - 5 clan wars (twice)
  • Most played Coalition - The Avengers 13 times (4w 9L)
  • Most loses to a coalition - The Avengers, 9 times
  • First CW vs - European Union
  • Most CP earnt in 1 cw - 75 vs War Time Heroes and U.L.P
  • Most CP gained against us - 100 Mortal Kombat

Hope you enjoyed the random Facts!

Putting the word to UN.

So there are many different views on the UN gaming arena created by cronus and Cpt. magic. Many purists hate the idea of having to be diplomatic more than a warlord to taste sweet victory. Having positioned myself for the most part in the 'purist aw' camp I decided to look deeper with a slight reluctance into the ins and outs of the UN scene and see if I could get hooked. I started off by talking to some well known UN games to see what their views were on the game type and to see if they could give me any tips on what I should do to be successful. First of I spoke to Leo here is what he advised:

[pr] bOnker2: Leo: leo leo hi
    [pr] Leo: ?
    [pr] bOnker2: Leo: want to do an interview about UN games?
    [pr] Leo: um, ok?
    [pr] bOnker2: Leo: ok so lets start off... what makes you enjoy playing the UN games?
    [pr] Leo: there's a deeper level of diplomacy than you find in other scenarios, and chat becomes an important tool. that makes for an interesting change of pace
    [pr] bOnker2: Leo: having yet to play a serious UN game, I am unfamiliar with the pretext. Can you explain simply for our readers what they are about
    [pr] Leo: it's a modern world scenario devided into the major nations of the world as preselected sides. the two UN "nations" are meant to keep world order
    [pr] Leo: you cannot simply go to war with someone, you must declare your war in open chat, and have it approved by the UN before you may att
    [pr] Leo: there are also interesting new locations, like oil fields and mines, and interesting units like nukes
    [pr] bOnker2: Leo: so essentially it is bringing modern international relations to the gaming spectrum, you mentioned the need for good diplomacy in UN games, what then do you advice to newer un players as good
    [pr] bOnker2: Leo: etiquette for diplomacy from a UN Gamer
    [pr] bOnker2: Leo: for it another game where the strong (higher ranked) players gang up on smaller ranks, or is everyone given a fairer shot in your opinion
    [pr] Leo: yes, victory is pretty even if players a diplomatic about their relations. a smaller player could likely defeat a higher rank, if they've found allies willing to defend their homeland against assualt
    [pr] Leo: as for new players, my suggestion would be to keep a close eye on the chat. a lot happens there and if you're not paying attention, you could quickly fall behind in world affairs
    [pr] Leo: it's also wise to use chat to build relations, sending a private message to a neighbor asking for an alliance may be the difference between friendship and war
    [pr] bOnker2: Leo: I see so diplomacy really is key. Seems like an interesting take on the normal AtWar games, I will partake in my first one soon for sure
    [pr] Leo: as for key skills, your best bet is taking control of neutral oil fields in international waters as soon as you can, and controlling the mines on your own land
    [pr] Leo: that's your main income, and it will help you in the future, either building your own armies, winning an auction for the land of players that have quit
    [pr] Leo: or secretly funding your allies in their own war efforts
    [pr] Leo: if you do find yourself in your first UN game, don't be shy with diplomacy. accept anything that comes your way, and send out a few offers as well. it can only help y
    [pr] bOnker2: Leo: I believe fantastic advice for new people joining UN games
    [pr] bOnker2: Leo: before I leave you I have one last question
    [pr] leo: sure
    [pr] bOnker2: Leo: There are rumours that in UN games you are someone who is either feared or like to go rouge, what do you think of these accusations
    [pr] Leo: well rumors are just that, rumors. i do play by the rules, however in all honesty i am not the most diplomatic player. if i feel i'm being insulted, i'm quick to fire back with my own comm
    [pr] Leo: *comments. it's obviously not the best strategy, and adds fuel to the fire of rumor spreading.
    [pr] bOnker2: Leo: that seems fair enough i mean you have a right to defend yourself in such situations
    [pr] bOnker2: Leo: well I would like to thank you for your time, your information has helped greatly in our investigations, hopefully we shall meet in a future UN game. All the best
    [pr] Leo: my pleasure, and see you at the diplomacy talks!

My chat with Leo seemed to go well. We learnt more about the gameplay, how UN games work and what can be done to win. It is true that you don't need much competitive skill to win, so it might be a good experience to see how the diplomacies work. But obviously not the place to be if you want to improve your cw, duel abilities.

After the interview, I decided to go check for myself using his advice how it was playing a UN game. Basically, a rank 9 getting destroyed by supposed 'noobs'.

So after speaking with Leo about the gameplay, i have decided to interview one of the creators of the scenario, namely Cronus to see his point of view. This is what he had to say:

[pr] BertanK: cronus: Hey, do you have time for a short interview for ATN?
    [pr] cronus: hi, yea sure
    [pr] BertanK: cronus: Alright, so we're writing an article about the UN games, and since you are one of the creators of the scenario, I wanted to ask you a few questions.
    [pr] cronus: ok
    [pr] BertanK: cronus: So, first of all, what was the main purpose of creating this scenario? Did you want to achieve something while you were creating the scenario?
    [pr] cronus: The main purpose was to create a RP game, a game that would be different from the normal games of just massive killing where most likely the highest rank player would win or an alt of a high ranked player and the low ranked players would just get massacred
    [pr] BertanK: cronus: Well, sounds like you have achieved your goal. Did you realize the game would/could become so popular?
    [pr] cronus: No i dint think it would become so popular i thought it would last maybe a week or 2 then die out never, thought it would last this long.
    [pr] BertanK: cronus: Yea, it will probably continue on lasting as well What do you think about all the hate from the high ranked players that play 3v3's and more competitive games?
    [pr] cronus: I'm a high ranked player and i play 3v3 and CW's and i see myself in no way affected by UN Games, i play 3v3 perfectly fine and they do fill up so i dont see what the big deal is about UN Games if you want low ranks to get better recruit them for your clan and teach them. Just like Titans Creed is doing atm.
    [pr] BertanK: cronus: That may be true, however don't you think it is better to push lower ranks more into the competitive side of aw to enlarge the community? It is said that games such as UN games discourage lower ranks from playing 3v3's type of games and that this is a bad thing? What are your thoughts? Do you agree or disagree?
    [pr] cronus: I honestly dont agree AtWar is a game to have fun if they dont find 3v3 or world games fun then why push them towards it why force them to play them just let them enjoy they're UN Games not all low ranks find UN Games fun there are a few that find 3v3 and world games funner so i say just let them decide what they want to play in the end they are here to have fun not to be forced to play something they dont want to play. They dont need to play 3v3 for the community to grow they need to play AtWar for the community to grow and they are.
    [pr] BertanK: cronus: That is true, if they don't want to play 3v3's, they don't have to. Just that higher ranks would like it more if the community of players playing 3v3's would expand. Anyway, would you not have created the UN game if you knew what would have happened?
    [pr] cronus: I would have still created UN Games i have receive alot of Pr and messages saying that if it wasnt for UN Games they would have quit AtWar a long time ago so im happy to keep players from leaving so the community grows
    [pr] BertanK: cronus: Yea, so the game actually helps the expanding aw community, which is indeed a good thing! It must be nice to receive that kind of pm's ... Do you personally find the game fun to play?
    [pr] cronus: I honestly dont play UN Games ive played them maybe 3-6 times and mainly to test the map out if me or cpt make new changes to it other than that i really dont play it at all.
    [pr] BertanK: cronus: Does that mean you don't find it fun to play?
    [pr] cronus: I personally do find the game fun to play every once in a while i couldnt play it everyday i would get bored but when ever i do feel like playing a UN Game i enjoy it.
    [pr] BertanK: cronus: Alright Lastly, do you have anything to say to the fans or the haters of the game?
    [pr] cronus: To the fans, thanks for the support i luv you all <3 to the haters, i luv you too <3
    [pr] BertanK: cronus: haha Thanks for your time and answers, it will truly help!
    [pr] cronus: np

This way we could also see how cronus feels on this topic. Mainly we can say that he doesn't bother with the haters. While he doesn't play the game himself, and plays more 3v3's, he doesn't find the UN games to be of a bad influence on the lower ranked players. He wants players to have fun and play what they want to play.

Then there are the ones that think that lower ranks would enjoy 3v3's more if they actually got to play it. So lastly, I went to interview two of the 'haters' of the UN game to see what they think. I have chosen Kona-Chan and time to interview, since I know they dislikes the idea of players playing constantly the UN games. Here is what they have told us:

time:

[pr] ●BertanK: time: ok, so first of all, what is your main opinion on the un games?
    [pr] time: I think they're the type of games that mainly serve low ranks because of the stacking phenomenon
    [pr] time: this might seem a good thing
    [pr] time: but in fact it teaches them how to be noobs
    [pr] ●BertanK: time: lol, alright. So what aspect of the game dont you like?
    [pr] time: well the fact that mostly all competitors get relatively too much money and have too much units all along the game makes the game less skill dependent and more like
    [pr] time: click and stick units everywhere
    [pr] time: these really makes me feel like a stupid dumb player because we just killed theessence of AW over here
    [pr] ●BertanK: time: thats why you dont like that aspect of the game? because it it kills the essence of aw. why do you think it kills the essence, isnt the essence to enjoy the game?
    [pr] time: it is but there's seriously no competition anymore and therefore no entertainment. I mean it's like playing a europe 50k game. where's the funin that?
    [pr] time: where's the challenge of having to watch out your income and balance it
    [pr] time: the whole point of the game then becomes clicking on units
    [pr] time: and that's certainly a no fun thing to me
    [pr] ●BertanK: time: but what if lower ranks enjoy doing that? Do you think they would enjoy competitive games if they got introduced to it?
    [pr] time: low ranks enjoy it only because they find it easier than competing in the real deal against us, the high ranks
    [pr] time: but if they can organise 3v3s between each other and learn their basics
    [pr] time: I'm sure it'll be much more fun
    [pr] time: right now they got the idea that AW is all about what UN games introduce them to
    [pr] time: but AW is much more than that. and that's what we're trying to teach them
    [pr] time: they THINK they enjoy it right now, but this actually is only making them unstable users because sooner or later they're gonna get bored of the silly games they're playing
    [pr] ●BertanK: time: Alright. I have heard that some lower ranks only play aw because of UN, otherwhiles they would quit aw. So it is a good thing because it makes the whole aw community bigger and more active.
    [pr] ●BertanK: time: what are your thoughts on this?
    [pr] time: Meh I doubt it. And even if it is true I think protobytes are able to go along without these 10 or 20 players saying so
    [pr] time: which would you prefer? encouraging the UN thing
    [pr] time: or
    [pr] time: promoting the real skill games which have the support of the elite AW players
    [pr] time: I mean we've already lost one of the best players in here. We don't wanna go on with this...
    [pr] time: sorry not one, many*
    [pr] ●BertanK: time: i cant say what i prefer cause i am neutral in this convo
    [pr] ●BertanK: time: anyway, so moving on, have you ever played a un game?
    [pr] time: no, but I've spectated a couple or so...
    [pr] ●BertanK: time: so i can assume you know that the game works based on diplomacies?
    [pr] time: yes
    [pr] ●BertanK: time: alright, do you think these diplomacies require at least some skill.. or is it just stupid?
    [pr] ●BertanK: time: and that a un game can be won by a new comer to aw on his first game?
    [pr] time: they do actually require some skill. And some thinking
    [pr] time: but
    [pr] time: the same skill can be practiced in several other games without dealing with all the other negatives of UN games
    [pr] ●BertanK: time: i see, do you think it is ok if you play a couple of un games when you are utterly bored and you have at least some knowledge to competitive game style?
    [pr] time: never. if I'm bored I simply log out from AW. I only play AW to go for short fun 3v3s or eu+ games. I don't even play world games
    [pr] ●BertanK: time: well alright, last "question", do you have anything to say to players that constantly play UN games or players that are getting in to it?
    [pr] time: you're seriously wasting your time. If it's about the sp, UN games aren't the place you're looking for. And if it's about the fun
    [pr] time: you're missing all the fun mates
    [pr] ●BertanK: time: thnx mate, your answers will help for the article!
    [pr] time: glad I could help

Kona-Chan:

BertanK
    anyway Kona-Chan, so first of all, what is your main opinion on the un games?
    Kona-Chan
    they don't hit the point of the game. also the fact that UN would kill a nation over a simple provocation is bullshit. so yeah generaly i hate it.
    BertanK
    lol alright
    but what exactly dont you like about it?
    so what aspect of the game?
    Kona-Chan
    Just the community really. People play it because they are all afraid to participate in wars. And it really pisses me off when they are all afraid of warring, even if they lose
    BertanK
    why does this piss you off, is it because they dont get to enjoy games such as 3v3s?
    Kona-Chan
    No, they can certinly play whatever they want. in the old days, we enjoyed 20player whole world games, so what they play is up to them. but yes, it pisses me off when they farm SP for that manner, and have no skills later on. Then they play other games, such as WW2 and they completely suck at it.
    BertanK
    i see. So you say that they can play whatever they want to play and that we shouldnt force them to play other games, but it genuinely pisses you off if they play UN games and dont gain any skill what so ever. Dont you think this statement is contradicting itself?

Kona-Chan
    No. That's because i belive in everyone to make appropriate choices, even if they are stupid. If a person wants to play UN, that's their choice. it may not be recommended, but you can't stop it. an example would be me and my carrer plan for thoese of you who know me. So generaly no, do what you want, BUT, UN in AW is a fail that needs alot of rule rewritting.
    BertanK
    alright
    have you ever played a un game?
    Kona-Chan
    oh yes, several times. even now i play sometimes, when i'm on radio, or when i'm absolutely bored
    BertanK
    do you find it any fun?
    or just a waste of time?
    Kona-Chan
    waste of time
    BertanK
    o and btw when you said it need a lot of rule rewriting, i assume that you mean to make it more competitive
    needs*
    Kona-Chan
    yes, and also rewriting the "meaning of UN's"
    BertanK
    i see, would you consider making a new "UN game" with these new rules?
    Kona-Chan
    No, not personaly. I don't have time for such things, and also, It's not fun doing things for the community you don't find good.
    current maps are fine, just need rule rewritting
    BertanK
    when you said you play it sometimes, does that mean it's ok to play it when you are completely bored and if you already have knowledge of competitive game play
    Kona-Chan
    not really no.
    BertanK
    but that is what you are doing, isnt it
    Kona-Chan
    I'm in process of leaving AW, so i IDGAF
    so IDGAF*
    BertanK
    lol alright, last question
    well not really a question, but do you have anything to say to people that constantly play un games or to players that are getting in to un games?
    Kona-Chan
    it's more entertaining to play Competitive AW, and if you are bored, play a good scenario, like WW2. I wish UN would get banned altogether, but we all know that ain't gonna happen.
    BertanK
    xd
    BertanK
    well thnx for the answers
    Kona-Chan
    cuz ik how developers feel. things like this attract people to invest finances into the game. And yeah, it helps them run the servers. But all in all, nothing will change. Hardcore players will leave, and noobs will replace them.
    BertanK
    oh

Kona-Chan
    i wish they wouldn't have thoese UDP flooding firewalls
    otherwise i'd DDOS them until they'd delete UN's
    xa
    BertanK
    dont know what that means
    Kona-Chan
    xa,
    BertanK
    if you got nothing to say for the last question, the interview is over ;o
    Kona-Chan
    aight

We can see that both Kona-Chan and time mainly have the same view. That is that lower ranks should get to play the competitive side of aw more rather than the UN games. Cause then they can get to enjoy aw even more and that as well as the old players that left and the new player would create an even bigger community. It seems for them UN games are a "waste of time".
    (Sorry for the layout of the last interview, it was done on another chatting place.)

Ask the Player Section!

Here are the answers of Primal to the questions asked in the last article:

Q: How are you? by Kennet
    A: I am currently battling my 3rd wave of poison ivy this year, so i'm not doing to well.

Q: Ehm, Primal why are you such a terrible leader? <3 by LDK
    A: I am forced to because little boys like you leave the clan and post in the forums about how you are moving on then you join back like 3 days later and apologize and act all weird.

Q: Primal how often do you tend to annoy other people? (If you annoy LDK, keep it up!) by Dbacks
    A: Well if i am in the mood i will annoy people a lot. It seems like i am in the mood quite a bit LDK wants my babies whether i annoy him or not......

This weeks 'Ask the Player' is Hugosch. So keep the questions coming!

And lastly, here are some funny screenshots and random funny pictures

Before ending the article, I would like to thank a bunch to b0nker2 for starting this article, unfortunately he could not finish it, so i took over.

Hope you enjoyed reading the article, until next time friends

-BertanK
  • ----
    31.07.2013 - 17:33
    Lol Nice Article Keep It Up Berty.
    ----
    Believe you can and you're halfway there
    31.07.2013 - 17:34
    Lmao, leo goes rouge,loses all his men, and rage quits.
    31.07.2013 - 17:49
    4/5 for including DDOS

@Hugo, when's the next time you'll play 500 miles ?
    ----

扶桑帝国のために
    31.07.2013 - 17:55
     Desu
    Oh so this was the article b0nker was supposed to post months ago when we reached 100 clan wars? But never did? Little late there b0nker noob xaxa.

Anyway, very nice article and you may want to colour the Kona-chan interview a bit so it matches the other interviews. Good job both B0nker2 and Bertank.

I'll think of a question for hugo later.
    31.07.2013 - 18:00
    Written by Desu, 31.07.2013 at 17:55

Oh so this was the article b0nker was supposed to post months ago when we reached 100 clan wars? But never did? Little late there b0nker noob xaxa.

Anyway, very nice article and you may want to colour the Kona-chan interview a bit so it matches the other interviews. Good job both B0nker2 and Bertank.

Yea, it is because I am leaving tomorrow for 10 days and I don't have time to do the last touches. Sorry about that guys
    ----
    31.07.2013 - 18:08
    Well bert, if you'd use IRC client, the chat would be like this;

<Kona-Chan>not really no.
    <BertanK>but that is what you are doing, isnt it
    <Kona-Chan>I'm in process of leaving AW, so IDGAF
    ----

扶桑帝国のために
    31.07.2013 - 18:15
     Desu
    Written by Milkyy, 31.07.2013 at 18:00

Written by Desu, 31.07.2013 at 17:55

Yea, it is because I am leaving tomorrow for 10 days and I don't have time to do the last touches. Sorry about that guys

Ahh I see.
    Written by Yoshika-Chan, 31.07.2013 at 18:08

Well bert, if you'd use IRC client, the chat would be like this;

<Kona-Chan>not really no.
    <BertanK>but that is what you are doing, isnt it
    <Kona-Chan>I'm in process of leaving AW, so IDGAF

Yeah he should of just kept the IRC stuff on it if he removed it, maybe the client he was using just isn't set like that? Also he was on his phone I think.
    31.07.2013 - 18:19
    No I was on my mothers laptop (now on my phone), so didn't have nettalk. I was using kiwiirc, which displays like:
    BertanK: blablablabla
    Bladiybla
    Kona-Chan: blablabla
    Blababla

But when I copied and posted it came like you see in the article

:p
    ----
    31.07.2013 - 18:36
    Are you fat, slim or muscular? Do you have long hair now? Do you climb mountains much? Are you in love with VRIL? Do you always look at camera/people like that?

note: Yeah I mean ur fb profile pic.

bonus question: Are there any sexy nurse in the hospital you work?
    ----
    01.08.2013 - 04:53
    Mr Grumpy
    Account deleted
    Entertaining Article!

Hugo's question: In your AW career as a Mod, who do you think is/was the worst troll you have come up against?
    01.08.2013 - 04:58
    @Hugo >> Im i Sexy ?
    ----
    Believe you can and you're halfway there
    02.08.2013 - 13:06
    Great article

Hugo question: would you like some tickling?
    02.08.2013 - 13:09
    How did you find aw?
    ----
    "War is nothing but a continuation of politics with the admixture of other means."
    ― Carl von Clausewitz
    06.08.2013 - 13:41
    Ok this post motivated me to give UN another chance so i said what the hell if bonker can do it i can too
    after a failed attempt to play one months ago i played again a couple of days ago with an openmind that is.There goes 2 hours of my life i am never getting back..
    After 2 hours and millions of attempts on my part to fight i just couldnt.whatever i would do and say Un's werent allowing me to fight anyone LOL
    so after 2 hours just staying there like an idiot looking at the ceiling my only option was going rogue.
    so it is prroven now that UN is indeed the equivalent of religion irl.Destroys the youth and limits the possibilitties of the individual!

proud UN hater
    ----
    atWar

About Us
    Contact

Privacy | Terms of service | Banners | Partners

Copyright © 2024 atWar. All rights reserved.

Join us on

Spread the word