Get Premium to hide all ads
03.09.2013 - 14:58
Remember when most of the games used to be eurasia, and that a full world game was like a party. A full world game was so fun, because you meet all kind of people. That used to be why coalitions were important, because you could tell who going to ally who early on. I just love those long world battle, those europe vs. asia. vs. america. Back then, rank 6 could be consider good, and rank 8 was pro. You guys remember epic battles for middle east in the eurasian games?

Now we have all kind of games, and all kind of scenarios. I didn't really care for 3v3 to begin with, it never gave me a thrill and rush as beating an opponent on a large scale war, or the feeling of joy from turning the tables. However, I love all the new scenarios and maps, they really are fun, yet it marks the death of afterwind and the beginning of atwar.

I am really just writing to mark down the history of what used to be and welcome in what is now. Please add on your thoughts
03.09.2013 - 15:09
I still call it Afterwind.
----

TJM !!!
03.09.2013 - 15:41
Remember when the lobby looked like a Newspaper? Or when there were no country divisions? How about Robot Santa?

Pepperidge Farm Remembers.

(On a serious note, I have shitloads of old screencaps and such. If you want, I can upload them here for infinite nostalgia).
03.09.2013 - 15:44
Written by Guest, 03.09.2013 at 15:41

Remember when the lobby looked like a Newspaper? Or when there were no country divisions? How about Robot Santa?

(On a serious note, I have shitloads of old screencaps and such. If you want, I can upload them here for infinite nostalgia).

Or when people dind't ragequit or level up playing uns
----
Nothing to impede progress. If you want to see the fate of democracies, look out the windows.
03.09.2013 - 17:04
 Utah
Written by Guest, 03.09.2013 at 15:41

Post them please! I want to see a lobby without UN...
----
The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood.
03.09.2013 - 18:52
I remember when the only good ww2 scenario was true ww2, and when one the the more popular scenarios was imperial era
----
ALL is fair in love and war. SO GET USED TO IT!
You opinion is not recognized as being valid.
03.09.2013 - 19:14
 Utah
Remember when WWII was today's version of UN? Everyone whining about how there was too much of it. I would love to go back to those WW2's...at least they required skill.
----
The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood.
03.09.2013 - 23:37
Good old times ... Playing 20-player world games and 20-player Eu+ no alliance games ... Learning the ropes from Pinheiro, TopHats and DeviL Miss those times.
04.09.2013 - 02:57
Written by Brandreas, 03.09.2013 at 23:37

Good old times ... Playing 20-player world games and 20-player Eu+ no alliance games ... Learning the ropes from Pinheiro, TopHats and DeviL Miss those times.

I'm still making FFA games. I remember DeviL in dalmati, he was rank 3 :D. When I started AW Highest rank was rank 8. Rank 6 considered high
----
04.09.2013 - 06:01
Alliances take all the fun out of the game... It's great when no one allies.
04.09.2013 - 07:22
Turnblocking.......
04.09.2013 - 12:09
Who is the person you miss most and why is it Barrymore?
----
Written by Amok, 29.04.2012 at 08:36

Gardevoir, your obnoxiousness really baffles me sometimes...just leave for good already or stop whining.
04.09.2013 - 12:11
 VRIL
Kaptain_Kraut 617d ;_;
04.09.2013 - 12:56
I remember, we just had 1 or 2 games in lobby. After we have started a game, and it was almost finished we always saw that "Zizou has joined" (usually at week 99)
----

atWar Radio<3

play for fun, just for fun.
04.09.2013 - 13:04
Written by tesla, 04.09.2013 at 12:56

I remember, we just had 1 or 2 games in lobby. After we have started a game, and it was almost finished we always saw that "Zizou has joined" (usually at week 99)

Zizou is love, Zizou is life.
04.09.2013 - 13:47
Yes those days, i love playing with those Gods, like playing with fruit , zizou learster , it would be an epic game , with Fruit never allying anyone and learster spam of marines , and zizou late joining ,,, agh if we could have old afterwind for one day -_-
----

04.09.2013 - 13:57
Written by Barrymore, 04.09.2013 at 12:09

Who is the person you miss most and why is it Barrymore?

<3

These new kids don't remember Barrygod.
----
Written by Mahdi, 23.11.2013 at 20:30

I don't consider the phrase "massive fag" to be an insult. Mods did.
04.09.2013 - 14:59
Bah, I blame atwar for not advertising enough or I would have found this game sooner .
08.09.2013 - 05:10
 Drac
I couldn't agree more.

My best times in Afterwind were on World or Euroasia and Africa maps.
I feel like the custom maps ruined the game for me. I don't like scenarios, I only played several times some WW2's.
I even considered to propose in the forums ( right when custom appeared ) to do something for restricting the number of scenario games that could be started at a certain point.
There was plenty of times when I logged in, looking for a nice game to play on old maps, but i didn't found anything attractive...full of all kind of bad scenarios started and filled with rank 4's and below, so I just found something else to do.
The nice thing about World maps (Europe, Asia, Euroasia) was that everybody was playing them so you could learn new things, new openings, new countries to start with. You were playing on the same maps over and over but every time something different was going on. Every time I tried to find better country + strategy + first turn openings combinations and win my games with that.#

The saying ~ More is not always better~ fits perfect for what happened to Afterwind ( in my opinion, of course others might enjoy even more the game after custom maps).

Too many custom maps, and I don't know if I am right, but I think there was ( or still is) the possibility for new players to start scenarios...also something that makes the amount of games started too damn high, and the spread of players in too many bad, boring and uninteresting games.

Take that option from beginners, don't let them play all those custom maps 1 vs 1 for like 5 turns and when they finally meet one of them will quit cause they don't know how to play this game. Let them join the games that are opened by more experienced players...if they keep playing with eachother in those kind of games they will never get better and experience the true taste of this game.
I know it's a marketing thing, and maybe they won't like to be taken from them something that is now free...but it will be for the good of this game.

Again, this is my opinion. I didn't played the game in the last months, maybe even without custom maps I would have gotten bored, but I fell that this is what killed my enthusiasm for this game after all.
08.09.2013 - 08:52
Remember the days without first turn peace and everyone turnblocked one another or took eachothers capitals.

Remember when Flower Power was all the rage among SM players in the days when you couldnt move past another players unit and SM stacks would wurround themselves in singular bombers. Or even worse, when players surrounded entire countries with tens of singular units, making it almost impossible to get near.

The days when Marines were overpowered and it took an age to earn the SP to buy them.

The days when you played as NC Sweden in Wider Europe games and your only goal was to ally Russia and conquer Britain.

The days when a player would only have to pick Turkey and practically auto win the game already.

The days when Ironail and Sificvoid ruled the world.

The days when Tophats was some unruly little noob who was into oldskool foppery.

The days when SRBians were the roughest, toughest, troliest fuckers in Afterwind, constantly hounded by MoDs with BaNhammers.

The days when walling your enemy city at the first turn wasnt just fine, it was encouraged.

The days when walls remained even with enemy units nearby.

The days of wall glitching and endless turns of attacking a cities walls but turns never going through and walls sitting there with that big ol' trollface.

Alot of nostalgia.
08.09.2013 - 10:00
I liked the 10k world games with 20 players ;^) and the free for all eu+ 20 players
----
atWar

About Us
Contact

Privacy | Terms of service | Banners | Partners

Copyright © 2024 atWar. All rights reserved.

Join us on

Spread the word